Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Default Final Edge - Coming whenever it's done™

Final Edge is a server I have started working on recently Its name is appropriate, it's the last server I will be trying that breaks the 'norm' of EverQuest.

What is Final Edge?
Final Edge is my vision of what EverQuest should've been.
Imagine Minecraft meets Project 1999. Where the environment is as dangerous as the NPCs, but just as plentiful in its resources.

This will be a server where tradeskills are no longer just a side quest; they are part of progression. You'll mine the ore, smith the ingots and make the armor. You'll plant a tree, watch it grow, and harvest the benefits of having done so. I want to make the game feel like something new that no one has experienced in EQEmulator before.
Creatures will be a bit more deadly, however, they won't be the only way to progress. You'll gain loot and experience as per normal. But that's not the only way to earn loot and experience. You'll be able to progress your character by crafting. There will be a viable alternative to having to grind mobs. If you want to grind NPCs, by all means, do so. There will be benefits of having a crafter in the group though...

The one thing that was added to EverQuest that was never expanded on in games like WoW was meaningful crowd control and utility.
Games like SWG had done the idea of 'dancers' that can inspire your group. Imagine if you could use the same concept as SWG with bard spells, but instead of a bard class, all of the crafters would help a group of players in some way. They could create catapults that rain hell on their enemies. Carpenters, with their knowledge of nature, could plant a tree item that turns into a swarm pet factory when dropped on the ground. Essentially, the crafters in Final Edge will become just as viable as other combantants due to their machines and utilities of war. Oh, I forgot to mention...

There's going to be a classless, open-ended character progression system. You'll be able to find spells that drop in the game off of the higher-end creatures. Not everyone will be a fire-wielding wizard to begin with... that right will have to be earned through trials and ancient knowledge found within the world. Yes, this means spell scrolls will essentially become consumables casted from the inventory/charm slots. You won't be able to just cast spells willy-nilly. Nor will gear be given out for free. At least, not meaningful gear.
These are just some of the areas I will be touching on initially.

Final Edge will be in development for as long as it needs to be. I work on this on my own time.
For the development process, I will be using original EverQuest content (spawns/quests) that is heavily modified to support the aforementioned systems. Eventually, I plan on replacing it slowly with new areas as time goes on.
I will be streaming development at times, so keep an eye out for updates regarding that.

Side note, It's been years since I have made a server. I have spent all of that time honing the toolset available to server operators. It's time to actually put those tools I have helped make with friends over the years to use.

You're welcome to post any comments, praises or criticism in this thread.

-S