Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 AM
gottasummer
Discordant

True.

Now, the big thing that I have noticed is basically little documentation on the Linux setup, there is a large amount of documentation, but not as many as the Windows setup.

These guides that I was told to follow, and the wiki still says to follow, are very confusing at times.

It isn't too hard if you do it "my" way... don't get caught up in the wiki guides, download EQEmu source, compile it, and the biggest thing I have had a problem with is MySQL and the databases.

Occationally, I tend to also have some compile errors, but not often.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:03 AM
iamjooish2
Fire Beetle

( it bears mentioning that I started playing the emu in april of '05).
wait a minute...
this thread is about documentation? mad haxxoring? running one's own server? verbal attacks from certain project leads? obselete reference material? low work efficiency?

I'm confused, heh.

Well regardless the gripe, I'd like to just point out I'm 100% satisfied with the emu. Live compat? Well, that's not really a problem -at all- if you're in the know . Documentation? Not a problem for me, but i'm pretty damned eudactic (shrug). People being an asshole towards me for asking tedious questions? Bah, I'm an asshole too, when I need to be. No surprises in store for me. Slow progress? Pffft, what's left that needs to be done? AAs and Spells (mostly spells) could use some facelifting and sanding of the rough edges, but they're actually pretty on-target considering the level of content currently encompassed by the closely tied DB (projectEQ). In fact it's my half-assed, uneducated opinion that the overwhelming bulk of work left to be done on the emu is in the DB/quests, coding aa/spell effects, and in functions that later expansions will require but the emu does not support (epic 1.5, 2.0 anyone). And have you seen that Nitwit guy do his coding thing? 6000 lines of code in 1 evening ffs (!); if he doesn't have carpal tunnel by now his wrist bones must be made of diamonds. And all that during a time when most people are making unwanted pregnancies and killing brain cells by the fuckton, I do mean new year's eve. If anything, he's earned the right to be a pissant to his oh so loyal userbase.

Yes, it's DAMNED crushing to learn that a very addictive, consuming game has a working, very functional emulator that's an anal pain to get working; whether running a server personally or just trying to slip past the live compatibility barrier. Even more frustrating is that it probably won't be live compat for a good, long ass time. There's pretty much 3 things you can do about it: substitute PEQ with one of those indie, customlegit servers out there, bang yer head against the wall until you figure out how to get past the live compatibility (which I did), or take a piss on the hard working devs.

fyi, did I mention I managed to piece together a working emu server without asking a single question? Not even a single grunt? Twice, over two different versions of live. (6.1 and 6.3). Now... compiling from source... that's a different story all together. But hey, they're working ON THAT TOO, no? Give these diligent workslaves some slack already!

(yes mattmeck, my other account was banned-deservedly- for being a complete turdblossom. Before you go on about ban evasion, however, I'd just like to point out my join date. I made this username for extra LS accts, just so you know)

ed: stupid sentence fragment.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Unhappy

EQEmu's problem has never been coder skill or effort, but leadership. I've been with this project for longer than almost everyone except people like image, devn00b and other people from way the fuck back, and I don't think I have seen proper project leadership at any given point during all these years. I had a three-four month stint as forum administrator at one point, in addition to almost helping start a fork project shortly before that (though that's a story in itself), which made me privy to a lot of information about how the project runs, or at least ran.

The lack of a visible central administration point, such as a lead coder with authority over what's gonna happen and what direction the project is going in, is probably the biggest downfall of EQEmu and why it has, I believe, come to this point. There is noone to decide that the project needs more coders and that it should go out and try to find some instead of sticking to a policy that hasn't worked since the project came out of its infancy. There is noone to decide what tasks should receive priority over others, which has historically meant that coders felt more like making new features (that usually carried bugs with them) instead of fixing bugs with the code. Moreover, criticisms such as these have usually resulted in an array of "dood we do this for free we can do w/e we want b/c we are like samaritans and do this out of the great goodness of our hearts" - while that's true, it's also just a nicely masked way of saying that you don't really care about the project's well being, usability and success. There's a number of other problems stemming from the lack of a leader figure, but I'm sure you can figure them out (such as the tolerance for devteam drama).

Dood, FNW, I've worked with both of you and you know I think you're great people (and coders!). But you're not leaders, and I believe there's no way you can keep hammering away at your keyboards until the problem goes away. I have no real self interest in seeing EQEmu succeed anymore, but I still want it to because it's a project that lots of people have put a lot of time into, and seeing it slowly die from unwillingness to change makes me sadface.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:42 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

The project is stronger now than ever. Check out the boards, the fighting has been kept to a minimium. I can't remember the last time I saw a decent flaming match on the forum. The few trouble makers we have left (mainly due to the client files not being handed out) are dealt with quickly and painlessly. Take the Wiki. Some child got pissed because we don't hand out client files so he trashed it. How long did it take FNW to restore the backup? If I recall once he found out about it not long at all.

I don't think the sentiment that "we do this for free, blah blah" hasn't come up in a long time. Personally, I help out because I enjoy database work, and solving problems. I think that most of the other active folks have similar feelings.

The current version of Emu is by far the best ever, and not because of added features. FNW and Doodman have both hammered out many bugs and problems with the code. Check the changelog, you'll see fixed this, corrected that, or added this nifty new feature that will help us track down more problems.

The problem isn't leadership. Leadership in our community historically has been a bad thing. Whenever somebody was made lead this or moderator that that's when all the trouble starts. I guess we are a group of anarchists but hey it works.

If anything, our problem is lack of community contribution. I don't think that's entirely by choice, however. Many of the folks I talk to on here don't have (or more preciously don't THINK they have) any skills that can be of any use. I sometimes suggest things they can do, but many times it goes over their head so they give up anyway.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Memener
Dragon

2 parts

part #1 When it was frist talked about

Quote:
[11:50am] [Memener] its hard to tell what happend
[11:51am] [WizeOne] simple.. a little butt-pirate didnt get a hand job and went on a temper tantrum
[11:51am] [Ghost_Fire] lol
[11:52am] [RippaN_52] hehe, but is there a backup for the wiki?
[11:52am] [WizeOne] one can only hope..
[11:52am] [Memener] I would think so lol
[11:52am] [WizeOne] untill dm or fnw wakes up.. no telling
[11:54am] [Ghost_Fire] I thought it does a back every couple of hours. But not sure.
[11:54am] [WizeOne] but how many backups does it keep(if it does it)..
[11:54am] [Ghost_Fire] Just in case Pirates attack like this :P
[11:54am] [RippaN_52] anyone know how he got access?
[11:54am] [WizeOne] how long has it been fubar'd
[11:54am] [Ghost_Fire] ohhh that a good question :(
[11:55am] [Ghost_Fire] *thats
[11:55am] [Ghost_Fire] i'll check
[11:56am] [WizeOne] well afk a while.. got to watch some more stern shows..
part #2 the end

[QUOTE][12:40pm] [cavedude] what's going on? some a** f**ked the wiki?
[12:41pm]

Thanks to Imageshack.us for free image hosting!

Last edited by Memener; 01-30-2006 at 09:20 AM..