Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Rhodan
Hill Giant

Default Lan log in while using Public LS?

Is there any way I can have my server use the Public LS while at the same time allowing people on the lan to directly connect?

I ask because my upload bandwidth is limited and my TOS says NO SERVERS! I have three people that play all on the same LAN and it seems a terrible waste of bandwidth making them go through the Public LS.

If not, perhaps we could look at writing something? It looks like the Public LS simply sends the LS ID to the world server and tells it what IP to talk to. It couldn't be that hard to make a non-secure mini-app that would work within a lan... Or could it?

Oh and to be clear - I do need to be on the Public LS for friends outside my LAN to play at the same time as the ones inside the lan.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:24 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

I think I am becoming your biggest fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodan
I ask because my upload bandwidth is limited and my TOS says NO SERVERS!
While your TOS says NO SERVERS(!), I highly doubt they were referring to EQ Emulators. They are talking about not hosting web or FTP services out of your house, since it will 1) clog their pipe, and 2) they can't rape you over a barrel for additional fees if you do this yourself. I have the same TOS, and I could give a rats ass. I serve Emulator(s), Teamspeak, FTP, and web off my local box. Very low utilization, and the Emu is negligible.

Quote:
Oh and to be clear - I do need to be on the Public LS for friends outside my LAN to play at the same time as the ones inside the lan.
LAN players should connect to eqemulator.net:5998 like everyone else, and they will have no problems. Once they are connected, the Emu LS has nothing to do with it. It's just a forwarder (pretty sure... are you sniffing my packets, emu?!)
Old 10-29-2006, 08:28 AM
eq4me
Hill Giant

I dont see a problem here. Your public IP should be bound to local Modem/Router. So as soon as your friends on the local LAN logged in they wont produce any traffic your provider can measure.
Otherwise you can go Minilogin and do an VPN for your remote friends.