Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:25 PM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

Yeah, I put maps into server/maps/ and the quest into server/quest/

I put the ifconfig local ip 192.x.x.x into the my.cnf. Also I've learned a bit how to use VI so I did that from root to edit the my.cnf. I dont know how to use chmod on it, what attributes to give it for editing, or what to change it back too.

Thats stuff I've already done, and having problems already. Also one step in the install of Linux OS was some kernal for more ram, so I used the AMD one and it locked up my PC at the login screen, so I had to boot up with the orig kernal, which probably recoginizes 1 gig ram, but 1 gig ram is all that my test machine has anyways.

Speaking of ram, server booted up with 400 ram used, but after 21 hours up, we're at 673 ram used, and there are 51 users online. Another gig of ram I should be good then.

You know what, I never rebooted the PC after changing the my.cnf file. Maybe thats the problem? Figured I didn't have to reboot anymore.

On my next day off, I'll try to reboot the LinuxPC and see if Navicat or Georges tools work from Windows. If that works, then next step is to try and dump the db onto the linux server again.

Thanks for the help. Im trying to not get discouraged here. At least its half working, Server on Linux, DB on Windows. Its a start.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
trevius
Developer

Don't get discouraged! You are very close to having it setup perfectly. A reboot should solve your mysql connection issue from Windows. You don't really *have* to reboot to resolve it, but it is the easiest way IMO. You could always just restart mysql. If you are running the webmin tool, you can go to Servers and then select Mysql and it gives you the option to stop and start mysql. So, you could do it that way if you wanted.

Once you are fully setup, the server will run much smoother and better than it ever did on Windows. And, you won't have to worry about anymore of these setup issues.

If your server only has 1GB of RAM in it, then there is no reason to upgrade your Kernel just yet. Though, you will need to upgrade it when you get more RAM otherwise it won't recognize the extra RAM. You can view your system stats easily from the main screen of Webmin ( have I mentioned how useful this tool is yet? :P ) and it will show you how much RAM your system recognizes and is using. And, yes, 2GBs should be a very good amount of RAM. I barely ever break 1GB of usage even with 100+ on, but I have seen it as high as 1.5GB before, which was probably do to some issue, but a server restart fixed it.

Since I installed Linux, I haven't rebooted the PC a single time myself. It has gone down a few times due to power hits at my house though.

Hopefully the next sql dump you do fixes your issue with the rules. You can always run that tail command and see if it is giving any errors while trying to load the rules or if it just skips the rules completely. Just make sure to open a separate terminal window for the tail and start the tail before you start the server so you can watch the whole process. Also, when I am not using the tail, I always turn it off using CTRL+C to exit it, just to reduce server load if it adds some. If it is just skipping your rules section completely when the server boots up, then maybe you should double check those rules tables and make sure they look ok. I will see if I can find the command to change rule sets in game. I know there is one that is supposed to allow you to set which rule sets are used by the server, it has just been a while since I have seen it.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 AM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

I copied the DB from Windows to Linux PC and the rule_sets changed to 3 in Linux, so I looked at windows and its rule_sets set to 0... which all my rules are... so some reason the export/import is changing that ruleset from 0 to 3, dunno why but quick edit fixed that, and now Linux runs with no problem.

Reboot fixed the my.cnf problem not working. Now I can use Navicat and Georges tools on Windows to edit the DB on Linux PC.

The kernel upgrade didnt work, cause just freezes up at the login screen before desktop part. The PC only has 1 gig ram right now so I'll figure that out when I add more ram. I might use a differnt PC anyways, this was just to test that I can get a Linux Server up and running, and it looks like I can, 100% successful within only 1 1/2 days. Just gotta do same, this time quicker, on a differnt PC.

Two quick questions:

The dynamic zone memory leak, was that only windows version, or also on Linux? If on Linux, then is recommended to make a lot of static zones?

Also, I see errors about the peq db not having a name_filter table, is that required? Well probably not required since the server runs, but just curious if its suggested?

Thanks for help Trevius.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 AM
trevius
Developer

Awesome! I figured the rules tables were doing something weird. Glad you got that straightened out. And, maybe I need to add something about restating the PC or restarting mysql at least after editing the my.cnf file in the wiki. Glad the reboot worked for you as well.

It sounds like you have everything running perfectly now other than the kernel upgrade. The kernels I suggested on there probably don't work for all PCs. I just put the most common 2 for Intel or AMD CPUs. You can always experiment with others to see if they work or not. I don't think it will hurt anything. You just use the "apt-cache search kernel | grep AMD" command if you are looking for AMD kernels. There are quite a few different ones, but I suggest you can try using the one that is the closest match to your CPU, as long as you don't use a 64bit one. The only reason I say not to use the 64 bit one is because some programs don't work on it. The server would still work fine, but for example, the "Shell in a Box" add-on tool for Webmin doesn't work on 64 bit and that is one of my favorite Webmin tools.

Once you are able to get your PC running on the kernel you want, you can always re-arrange your boot order by going to the Webmin tool and going to Hardware then to Grub Boot Loader and removing ones that don't work or change the order of what boots first and stuff. You don't have to boot it very often, so it isn't a big deal really, but I just like my PC to be as perfect as possible lol. Just make sure you don't remove the ones with "Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-6-486" in them, as those are the default ones and you might need them if something else goes wrong. The kernel that I currently use is Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-6-k7 and it works great. I thought the one I put in the wiki (should be the same one I am using) should work for most AMDs. I know this is probably a stupid question, but are you sure you don't have an Intel CPU in that PC? I build so many PCs that it is hard to keep track of the parts in all of them, and while most are AMD, I do have an Intel in there somewhere lol.

I run all of my zones dynamically and have no issues with it. Though I have considered adding a few statics just to keep a couple of zones from resetting when they are empty (mainly if a raid wipes).

And ya, I get those name filter errors as well when new characters are created. I don't know why that is the only thing that actually does scroll after the server is started lol. I am sure it isn't an issue at all and not much need for it unless you want to set a filter for names, which might not be bad if you have a strict naming policy or just don't want certain words in names. I had to delete a character tonight cause his name was so bad, and a name filter would definitely have stopped it. I wouldn't mind having another table for it, but I don't know what the table would be setup like. I have just been ignoring those errors.

Now that you have all of that stuff setup, there is only 1 more thing to setup, but it isn't exactly critical. The last thing you would want to get setup is file sharing between windows and Linux. I vaguely described how to do it in the wiki, but it can sometimes be a little rough to get setup. But, once it is setup, you will have 100% control over your server from your Windows PC. The quest editor won't work without the file sharing. If you have issues getting it working, just let me know and I will help if I can.

Oh, and Welcome to Linux! I think you find that it was well worth the work. And, if you ever do another install, the second time around is considerably easier lol.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 AM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

Thanks for the help Trevius. I should have done this a long time ago.

This weekend I'll be working on making things more perfect, such as file sharing, and more ram. I'll experiment to see which kernel works on my machine to get more than 1 gig.

Yeah, adding note about rebooting after editing my.cnf might help, since I was going by the statement of never needing another reboot.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Maylar
Fire Beetle

well, you really dont have to reboot.

from the CLI as root ( or sudo ) /etc/init.d/mysqld restart

and thats it.

However, I DO have a problem. been working on this for a few hours. I have also migrated my EQEmu to my linux server. (moved my db from my windows box to my linux box). However, when I go to log into my account ( Through MiniLogin ), I get a

"15315 [09.01 - 00:33:28] [WORLD_CLIENT] Connection from 192.168.1.101 FAILED banned IPs check. Closing connection."

Now, from the other terminal, I get

"Error in CheckBannedIPs query 'SELECT ip_address FROM Banned_IPs WHERE ip_address='192.168.1.101' ' #1146: Table 'peq.Banned_IPs' dosen't exist"

That is true, looking through the db. that table is not there. However, banned_ips is there. So, my question is thus. How do I tell it to look into the table that does exist instead of a table that does not?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Maylar
Fire Beetle

Solved. Renamed that table to Banned_IPs. That fixed the problem