Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Blueeyedtimothy
Fire Beetle

Default No Connection.

So I recently moved and finally got around to get on my computer. I try to load EQ and when I get the enter in my log-in info it says its looking/connecting to the servers. Then a message pops up saying it could not connect and for me to check my internet.

Is the log-in server down, or maybe since I moved the internet is different in some way causing this?

Ive uninstalled everything and reinstalled it again and have the same message above. I have my eqhost file the way it should:

[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998

Or at least the way the play guide says....

Then I have the shortcut with patchme at the end of the target.

If there is any help to this please let me know. I have limited knowledge in the area of my Modem and Router setup and thats all. Configuring it or something is something I have no clue to do. I share this connection with other people in my flat but they are not here that often.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 PM
trevius
Developer

If someone else runs the router that you connect to the internet through, or if there is a proxy, make sure that no one is blocking or forwarding port 5998. That includes port range forwarding, which means it they have a DMZ setup, or if they have a port range like 5000 to 6000 being fowarded to a particular PC, you will not be able to use it.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

Actually, you would still be able to connect to a server at port 5998 even if your router is forwarding incoming connections somewhere because you will be opening a socket at different port locally and transversing through NAT. The only firewall problems that affect the end user is blocking outgoing connections, which tends to occur on your desktop itself.

Your next step after verifying the eqhost.txt file is to see if there is a DNS issue by performing a NSLOOKUP on the host, eqemulator.net. Open a command prompt and run the following command.
Code:
nslookup eqemulator.net
You should get a valid IP address back, current non-authoritative answer is 64.251.21.39.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Blueeyedtimothy
Fire Beetle

I did what you said in CMD and recieved this:

Server: ns1.smartcityon-line.com
Address: 66.90.0.6

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: eqemulator.net
Address: 64.251.21.39

My eqhost.txt file says this:

[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998

Last edited by Blueeyedtimothy; 06-28-2009 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 PM
gaeorn
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeormom View Post
Actually, you would still be able to connect to a server at port 5998 even if your router is forwarding incoming connections somewhere because you will be opening a socket at different port locally and transversing through NAT.
That's not entirely true. Some routers will behave the way you describe, but that is generally newer, more advanced, routers. Older ones typically will not do a dynamic port forward if there is a predefined static definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeormom View Post
The only firewall problems that affect the end user is blocking outgoing connections, which tends to occur on your desktop itself.
This also is inaccurate. If the incoming ports are blocked, it will also prevent successful connections. And in most cases, the firewall will take precedence over port forwarding.