Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:44 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Default Wiki

Has there been any thought as to moving over to mediawiki from the current wiki?

I looked around a couple of months ago and found a python script that someone had written to convert all the wakka wiki articles to mediawiki ones. I can't find the website now, but the author did release the script (which I have saved).

edit: Here it is, a post to a mailing list: http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail...ly/011509.html

The code's public domain.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:54 PM
trevius
Developer

Thanks for the Script, I will be downloading that when I get home for sure! And yes, I have discussed it a bit with Rogean already, now that we are finally on the new host. He has been working to fix quite a few things here and there. Notice that the View count for threads now actually shows how many people have viewed them instead of how many replies there have been. That is just one of many fixes so far.

Rogean said he will try to get me FTP access as well as a Database for the new Wiki sometime soon, though I probably need to bug him about it again since I know he has been busy getting things settled on the new host. If that script works well, that would be awesome. He will probably need to run the convert script itself, but other than that, I can probably do most of the rest of the setup for the new mediawiki. Once we have it setup, my plan would be to first make sure everything looks good and adjustments are made where they are needed. Then, once it is all set, we would just replace the wiki link on the main page to point to the new Media Wiki link. I think it is a good idea to keep the old wiki available as well, but any new wiki changes/updates should only be going into the mediawiki one once it is ready.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
pfyon
Discordant

I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but as with everything, best to test that script before running it on a production db.

I agree for keeping the old wiki for historical reasons, as well as in case any issues come up from the change over to mediawiki.

If you don't need to keep user accounts from the current wiki, I think it would be great to have mediawiki link up with the forum user accounts so you don't need two accounts to edit/create articles.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 PM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, the script would never be ran against the current database for the wiki that is in use, it would only be used on a copy of it, so that should be pretty safe.

As for accounts, I am not sure how that will be handled yet. It could be that they will carry over, or it could be that new accounts will need to be created. If wiki accounts could be tied to the forum accounts like that, that would be awesome, but I don't know if that is possible.