Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
liquest
"Special" Member

Default has it been done?

has anyone ever made a 100% crafting oriented server in some way? like ive seen server to have blank armor and you customize with augs but i want a 100% crafting server only way you can level is crafting that would be neat IMO that is

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 03-14-2011, 04:40 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

One day i will open my own server where "blank armor and you customize with augs" will be one of the ways to get precisely the gear you want, but I still have a long way to go
Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
One day i will open my own server where "blank armor and you customize with augs" will be one of the ways to get precisely the gear you want, but I still have a long way to go
That's actually not an impossible goal, considering gear like palladium, etc. is
already along those lines. (empty, until you aug it). So it would just be more
a matter of customizing augs/gear that are already in the game, if you chose
to go that route.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Melandril
Sarnak

+1 to the idea
Old 07-24-2011, 04:08 PM
liquest
"Special" Member

Just a whole crafting oriented server would be fun. would also if done rigth get a good economy if people utilize the bazaar.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Melandril
Sarnak

If I can get the server hosted that I compiled last night, I am planning to make this a central tenant of item progression on the server I'm designing.

I've never played DnD, but I think some of the concepts have spilled into other games I've played.

Would be people enjoy a crafting gear system where for levels ranged:
00-10: everyone is essentially a warrior
10-25: you craft archetype gear
25: you pick an advanced archetype
65: secondary/sub spec
end-game: you continue to refine and narrow the focus of your class

by changing gear, you can re-spec.

For example, have you ever wanted to be a Drakkin Beastmaster? or an Ogre tank-mage (assuming the robe graphic works on them....)? Or a palidan with real heals? Or a rogue with high dps with ranged attacks (yet top melee DPS in backstab position)?

(I don't have all of the ideas fleshed out, but I'm thinking that I'd like to tweak the crafting system to allow for greater personalization and specialization of classes. One's starting class will determine the AAs available, but since not all AAs seem to work anyway, gear would override everything but the passives...or perhaps at Level cap the player's base class would emerge to offer unique limitations and advancements on a player...)
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 AM
tollen
Fire Beetle

Part of what your talking about has been done, I saw one server that had NPCs that would change your class so you could be a gnome monk if you wanted.

But as far as class cross over of ability's not sure that will be as easy.

so maybe you could set it up like everyone has to pick a human warrior at the start, and at lvl 10 they can do a quest to become a new class. ect
Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 AM
liquest
"Special" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melandril View Post
For example, have you ever wanted to be a Drakkin Beastmaster? or an Ogre tank-mage (assuming the robe graphic works on them....)? Or a palidan with real heals? Or a rogue with high dps with ranged attacks (yet top melee DPS in backstab position)?
The issue with that, Cross classes is the endless amount of spells you would need to either create or customization of classes on the current spells. For people who chose a warrior at the character creationg screen. They do not have access to a spell bar any plan to integreate the spells into combat ability's. Or have a totally different SPell thing and throw it on the armor.

Other then that i believe its an amazing idea and i would love to check it out or help work on the project. I hope it goes into place.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Melandril
Sarnak

yeah, I figured the custom spells would have to go on the armor for that very reason

Although, as I'm just learning what can be done, I'm still stuck at the spell creation stage. As a test, I've been trying to create a level 2 cleric spell that summons either the BLpet85 or BLpet70 (since I didn't see BLpet85 in the npc_types table); however, so far my attempts have been unfruitful Most of my attempts leave the spell unusable (the scrolls lists it as CLR 255); though, I bet with a few more tries I'll get it.

However, now I can see why custom servers don't have millions of custom spells or for that matter, why class balancing via spell creation doesn't appear more popular.

Curious, on many servers, the gear is aimed at letting players reach 100k+ hp. would a server be fun if the gear drops were only incremental improvements (10hp or +1 stat at a time) or should the improvements be reserved for lvl-cap with vast improvements and staggering tiers?

the reason i ask is that as a player, I'm not dedicated enough to be one of the server elites. I play and seek that sense of accomplishment from incremental progression. I like getting a piece of gear that's just slightly better than the one I had before; and I think a crafting system would go a long way toward that style.
Clear a dungeon, acquire two drops that combine with my current BP to add +10hp. Or clear a series of dungeons to acquire the components to aug that BP to add heroic stats and procs. Make the pieces no-drop and the drop-mobs spawn on a decent cycle for the non-elite pieces.

though, before i can get to that, I've to master the spell and effects creation process =/
Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 PM
liquest
"Special" Member

Im more of a grinder/farmer and i like working up hard to things other then stuff getting handed to me but other people are different.