Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::General Support

Archive::General Support Archive area for General Support's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Shatterblast
Fire Beetle

Default Client Crash Question

Hey, all. Been watching since 2002 and finally joined the bandwagon.

The client seems to work well, but crashes out after a random 5 to 9 minutes of playtime. Specifically, the error only occurs when randomly activating a spell 5 minutes after a login or moving a window when speaking with a merchant.

Other than that, no error occurs. No problems from zoning.

I have some of the Windows set to opaque, but I don't think that would cause a problem. I also have the recent patches up to Gates of Discord so I'm updated as for as EQLive.

I don't think a corrupt OS is the issue, though in this example, I am using MS XP. I updated the video drivers and downgraded with no real results, though I only tried within Forceware 53.x. My chipsets are the nVidia GeForce FX 5200 and the AMD, a 1300.

I have no problem logging in or playing. I just receive an error that the client has crashed, which freezes the machine or crashes out.

On an offnote, I did not notice a DataRate.txt added after logging in or patching. I added it myself and just put a flat '8.0' in the file alone with nothing added. I'm not sure if that will influence the issue.

Only thing I haven't tried is turning off all chat features like OOC and the like. I messed with refresh rate, clippings and all that salsa. I'm not sure on the monitor timing that I should set either, but that fails to have any effect anyhow.

The only thing I'm left thinking is that maybe it has to do with the zone files or my own executables.

Recommendations please?
Old 02-09-2004, 02:28 PM
wize_one
Dragon

eqlive having same type of issuse with amd and navida chipsets..they said it would be patched with the feb 10th patch..(only thing is the feb 10th patch will probably break the emu)..kinda between a rock and a hard spot
Perfect quote from another site: it's immature pricks who refuse to read the numerous stickies in every forum pointing out what to do and what not to do that get flamed. Grow up and learn to do your fucking homework before opening your cake hole, junior. EQEmu doesn't like you anymore, and that's why you're getting errors. So go away.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Shatterblast
Fire Beetle

Thanks
Old 02-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Shatterblast
Fire Beetle

Okay, I'm going to try the route of Glide wrappers to see if I can boost compatibility that way. I'll post my results afterwards.

At least, it will narrow down whether the problem is with the video card or CPU.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Shatterblast
Fire Beetle

I don't have the knowledge right now on spoofing Nvidia driver's as Glide. I came across mGlide, but of course, it's incompatible with XP. I wouldn't really know if mGlide would allow proper spoofing of Glide within Win 95/98/ME but it would seem to be a shot.

I haven't tried spoofing with my BSD system either since I didn't see a need for it. Either way, I can't force EQ to take a glance at the glide2x.dll or glide3x.dll files.

I know that the 'patchme' option exists for the eqgame.exe file. Are there other options available? Perhaps there is a method of forcing the engine to look at something Glide?

I believe the really old version of EQ would do so.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:45 PM
samandhi
Demi-God

This is semi-off topic, but try this website, it has many wrappers, and I know that evoodoo (used to anyhow), spoof anything that tried to use ogl or directx... http://www.emulation64.com/downloads...ction=wrappers

Quote:
Analysis paralysis will keep you from failing, but it will also keep you from succeeding.
  • L.L. CoolJ
Old 02-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Ndrangheta
Fire Beetle

To fix this problem you must

delete these files from your EverQuest Directory:

EQMain.dll
EQGfx_dx8.dll
EQClient.ini
EQGame.exe
EQHardware.ini
EQOptions1.opt
EQOptions2.opt
All files in the \Userdata folder
Any file with your Character's Name in it
The zone files your character is in.

I suggest this:

1) Make sure your motherboard drivers are up to date. This may be the most important update of all.
2) End task on all background programs and goto Trend Micro's Site and click on SCAN NOW and run a complete scan on your entire pc.
3) Windows Updates from www.Microsoft.com
4) Reinstall DirectX
5) Reinstall your Video Card Driver

Do it like this
Download the directX 9.0b driver and save it. (do not install it).
Okay here goes:
1.) Uninstall the Nvidia driver.
2.) Restart your machine
3.) Uninstall DirectX driver.
4.) Restart your machine.
5.) Install the saved directX driver 9.0b
6.) Restart your machine.
7.) Install the Nvidia 44.03 driver
8.) Restart your machine.
9.) Try logging into EQ

It will work then, worked for me and a whole lotta other people.