Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Development

Archive::Development Archive area for Development's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 02-28-2004, 06:47 PM
samandhi
Demi-God

Default (possible) Fear usage!

I am wondering if maybe making a temp fix for fear would be viable.

I know that playing a necromancer for one, is not as viable a character without his bread and butter.....I realize that it cant be done just yet, as the pathing issue is not in place.

Let me, then offer this possible temporary solution along with a couple of questions to test it validity. We are able to implement the fear spell at this point aren't we? Meaning, when you cast the spell, you can make a mob run away for a random amount of time based on resists and level of caster (amoung other stats I would guess, maybe Cha for instance). I know that having them run away without pathing implemented is a BAD thing, but what if we were to use two existing spell effects for this to substitute?

I have noticed that root DOES work, and I have heard from talk here that fear would NOT be hard to put in place, were the pathing issue fixed. Why not use both? Is there a way to use the existing code for the root effect and the fear effect at the same time, in a reliable and predictable way (read the timer doesnt break on root before fear does, and vise versa)? Or would the code have to be rewritten to ADD another effect like root in order to get this to stack (so to speak) with fear? So, effectively what you would have is like a mes spell, but you cant break it by casting, and the mob turns his back on you as if he were GOING to flee, if only he could move his feet... Yes, the mob would be stationary, but it would allow for solo reverse kiting, that the necro is good at. Hell you could even change the name of the combined spell to something that might be better explained than fear... You could call it confusion or something to that nature, and have the mob face a random direction for effect, instead of just away from you.....

Again, this is ONLY a suggestion for a temporary fix, and if this all seems like a bad idea, then dont be afraid to say so. But some of the best ideas stem from the first idiot to open his trap with a dumb idea hehe.

Quote:
Analysis paralysis will keep you from failing, but it will also keep you from succeeding.
  • L.L. CoolJ
Old 02-28-2004, 07:07 PM
kathgar
Discordant

The current implementation of SE_Fear will stun the target for the correct amount of time, but there is a slight difference between when the spell wears off and when you are unstunned depending on how far into the current tick the spell is cast.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Turath
Sarnak

was thinking about pathing the other day, was wondering how you all have been getting mobs following you around so much better they aren't dropping under world or bouncing around much

but fear still doesn't work as it should as this post says, because there still is no real pathing

I remember a post a long time back, I can't find it, don't remember the name of the guy who made the post but he had said he used to work for verant back in the old days and said how eqlive had done their pathing then and wasn't sure if they still did it that way

but he said it was done by having a map for the zone, and it basicly had path points put down for mobs to go to, so you'd have points for water to keep fish and things in the water, have points for land some points acted as like bridges between 2 paths of points, each point held the info of it's x, y and z, so it was like a mob would choose a point path closest to it and jump on it, and it could only get to another point path if there was a connector point between 2 paths.

well it went something like that, maybe someone else remembers more exact info or saved the post or can find it, but was thinking, maybe with this new zone previewer program being made that will allow setting up your npc's and all that within it, maybe the ability to easily add these points and draw out zone pathing could be put in to make it real easy and go with this form of pathing

then we wouldn't be loading up like a 3d map of the whole zone which could get hurting on memory, would more like loading in a buncha pathing points with connector points, and then we could keep our fish in the water too since they wouldn't be allowed to follow any path points out of the water

would probably have to add something to their spawn2 though so on spawning they know what points they are allowed to use, like goblins spawning under water can use land to come out the water, but nasty fish can only use water points and not both

or maybe if we just use sandy's new way she want's pathing to be done, which would be like how spawn groups then spawn entries are now

so like gridgroups then grid entries so we can hold more than 50 points in a grid we could just lay out grids for zones for feared mobs to follow

then in the grid table there could be something to set zone they are for and if they are for feared mobs to follow or something

then maybe with that previewer program which loads up the zone we could be like, make a grid line between xy and xy and it'll make a straight line and pull the z up for each coord along the line and then we have a fear line a mob can follow, then just a way to connect diffrent lines together so mobs would have paths all around a zone they can follow

well, hope some of this gives some people some ideas or helps in anyway
Old 02-29-2004, 08:16 AM
samandhi
Demi-God

Quote:
The current implementation of SE_Fear will stun the target for the correct amount of time, but there is a slight difference between when the spell wears off and when you are unstunned depending on how far into the current tick the spell is cast.
Ahhh I didnt know that, has been a while since I tried it since I have not seen anything about pathing being fixed, I assumed that nothing had been done (not top priority I realize).. Thanks.

Quote:
Analysis paralysis will keep you from failing, but it will also keep you from succeeding.
  • L.L. CoolJ