Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Telltolin
Sarnak

Default Could making a server be any harder?!

They can't make it where its all in one handy tool, where it automatically checks your ip and port to know how to connect eq, it HAS to run by mysql, AND have 10 dos prompts and 10 other fucking windows, having to edit a .bat here, and a .txt there, it SUCKS. I have some sweet ass ideas for a server and they're not worth shit! I don't have the time nor patience to spend 6 fucking hours and 78 megs on something that will get an error in the end! BAH!!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:54 PM
ryder911
Hill Giant

umm, If you can't set up a server and complain about using simple programs and following simple directions, then I don't think you would have the skill to make your "sweet idea" come true.

It sucks that you get an error, maybe you should stop whining here and go read the directions again.

Quote:
They can't make it where its all in one handy tool
Why don't you make this tool? I mean it was your idea how about you run with it, do somethign for the good of the emu community, instead of coming on the board and bitching that your to stupid to set up a server.

Quote:
I don't have the time nor patience to spend 6 fucking hours and 78 megs on something that will get an error in the end! BAH!!

If you don't have the patients or the time just setting it up, you shouldn't even try to host one, many server take much more patience and time then that, to get them running good, and have good content.
Oh and the server uses mysql for a reason. If there wasn't mysql it would be pretty damn hard to run / make a server because it would be much much harder to edit your DB without it. Mysql isn't very hard to use, why don't you spend about a hour reading up on some of it and learn about it?
Old 06-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Clap Clap >< :lol:
Old 06-11-2004, 12:05 AM
thedammz
Sarnak

One would think it wouldnt be realy easy to get a server going. Eq is a big game. I may not be a program but i would think it would have alot of stuff u would have to do. Sure it would be cool where there was a program u could use to make it super easy to set up a server. But if u take the time and read the guides and post on how to do it u might get it exspecialy on the frist time making a server.
This is out of my mouth i havent tried to make a sever but if i would i would take all the free time i had reading and checking on how to get it right oh about the space its gonna take at lest a good hard drive to do it

-----
EQEMu rule(/wispers i cant hate eqlive its still good)
Old 06-11-2004, 02:09 AM
animepimp
Dragon

The server is intelligently designed the way it is. My SQL is used because it is way easier to use a fully functioned DB system which is simple to set up and maintain than to write your own method f reading and writing info to files to store it which may or may not be extensible enoguh to store what you want a few months later. The zone servers are set up that way because thats how Sony has written EQ to connect to. The world server takes care of all the broad worldwide stuff and then forwards you to a zone server which is always on a different computer with a different IP and port. Most servers people run here run all the zone servers on the same computer ebcause they can't afford a bunch of computers, but I know guild wars adn scorpious2k and a few others use several computers to be able to handle more people.

Theres no way to reduce the number of programs that need to run, but its entirely possible to make a tool that helps you run and set them up easier. Like a tool that you run that lets you input your IP and how many zone servers you want and what ports they should be on and it automatically updates all the fiels that have those in them. Would be very simple to write, but I think its simple enough already I'm not going to waste my time on it. Then you could also create a program to automatically start up the server by like starting mysql, delaying 20 seconds to let it load up, starting up the world server, delaying again to let it load, and then starting all the zones up. This tool would be even faster to write and might be useful enough.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Wiz
Dragon

If you can't figure out how to get MySQL working, you have no business running a server.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Swampdog
Hill Giant

Running any kinda server isn't easy. It doesn't matter what kind of server you run, if you are going to do it right it takes work. The job of running a server isn't for everyone.. EQ isn't some mud that just has one program with cookie cutter options, it is a complex and diverse world engine with tons of pieces which integrate together how the server op wants them to integrate. In order to have that kinda flexibility, you have to have the extra tools. Hell, that's the beauty of the world we live in today. You don't have to rewrite a database to include in your program. You use what is already there and spend your development time developing the program, not reinventing the wheel so that someone who is too lazy to figure out how to work with the other tools can start a server. I, for one, would much rather see the devs working on functional parts of the server and deal with the extra dos prompts and mysql.

This is NOT the first server environment I've dealt with that has required hand configuration and have had tons that make use of other applications which pop up their own separate windows (some several).

IF, you have the correct client version and you follow the instructions in the How To/Tutorials section you should get minimal errors in building a server. If you get tons of errors and can't do it, you can always play on servers that are here, maybe partner with a server op that is here and has it running to develop your ideas, or go back to EQLive...
Damn rl interupting fun anyways.. :P
Old 06-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Swampdog
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by animepimp
Theres no way to reduce the number of programs that need to run, but its entirely possible to make a tool that helps you run and set them up easier. Like a tool that you run that lets you input your IP and how many zone servers you want and what ports they should be on and it automatically updates all the fiels that have those in them. Would be very simple to write, but I think its simple enough already I'm not going to waste my time on it. Then you could also create a program to automatically start up the server by like starting mysql, delaying 20 seconds to let it load up, starting up the world server, delaying again to let it load, and then starting all the zones up. This tool would be even faster to write and might be useful enough.
That would be handy.. When you gonna have it finished Animepimp? /laughs and ducks
Damn rl interupting fun anyways.. :P
Old 06-13-2004, 11:59 AM
boucoune
Sarnak

i want a CoH avatar :(:( mine's getting old :'('(

Member of the Leet shiz mem bitches krew

Zeeky Boogy Doog. BOOM!