Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Database/World Building

Archive::Database/World Building Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 04-22-2002, 10:00 AM
meliudaj
Hill Giant

Default A BIG request from all you Worldbuilders.

Though it seems right now that we have only 3 databases to choose from. Drawdes, Ariaks, or Lurke_005 (Drawdes n
Old 04-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Sauron
Fire Beetle

I would agree however some of that will be done if every thing goes well with the next verson of the emulator. In other posts it has been stated that a DB with populated zones and corrected Z positions will be released after verson 0.3.2. So other than mabey a few fixes here and there it would seem that there is only textures and loot to work on. However once we have a populated DB comming with or directly following the emulator download there would probably not be any need of seperate Databases being worked on by different people. So in that case your right it would be a great aid in getting an almost complete DB done if all the worldbuilders worked together to patch and update the DB that the Eqemu team is going to put out.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:12 PM
Lurker_005
Demi-God

It isn't entierly cut and dry :(

Working on the same actual DB (as in ready to source in) isn't pratacle. That is why I chose to work based of EQSpawns.txt For the most part, order isn't important. Drawde can add things to it, and so can I. Then putting those together in 1 file isn't hard. But EQSpawns.txt doesn't have all the fields output, many are still random numbers. Also you break all quests that may be set up by adding/deleting 1 spawn to the beginning of EQSpawns.txt

Plus there is the DB sauron mentioned. We will have to wait and see for the moment.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:40 PM
ibleet
Hill Giant

Many people have created their own worlds complete with their own spawns and items and actually prefer it that way. I see what you are trying to do, but I agree that it is just not practical.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:00 PM
Shortlived
Sarnak

seems to me your guys work together as much as logisticly(<--Is that a word?) possible.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:26 PM
Gino
Sarnak

I am in touch with Ariak just about this issue atm.

If the various worldbuilders around these boards (elder and youngsters) want to work together, i would propose to set up somme guidelines that all of us those want to contribute to it, agrees to.

It`s not the first time this issue arises and i tried to talk with a few people but we never got anywhere.

Basically the problem lies in the fact that Drawdes hughe piece of work, cant easily be adaptedt to such rules and im well aware that he dont want to lose all his work or rewrite all the stuff he made.

But non the less please take a look at :

http://sourceforge.net/docman/displa...group_id=46446
(Numbers arent set in stone)

A DB that commes close to real EQ cant be done in every detail by just 1 or 2 people. And like Ariak once said :" I dont want to work on Newbiegrounds".

I have no problems with that i got myself certain zones i would not want to work on, but without agreement we wont get far.

Imho it would make sense if a Worldbuilder would pick certain zones, (like a responsibility) and work on them from start to end.
Then once done send it to a DB coordinator. The coord would do a basic compability test and spread it out to some people i would like to call testers. Once all is more or less stable make it public.

Regards
Gino
Old 04-22-2002, 11:07 PM
Shawn319
Demi-God

I think that would be a great idea if all the world builders got together (Including Drawde, Ariak, Lurker, Gino, Claus and anyone elce i missed sorry).. I can promiss everything will be MUCH easier after Merkur/Spud release there spawn collections and maby the Spawn Collector (although it will need to be worked on after tomorrow patch)..

Lets get everyone added to the EQEMU Database Project Srouceforge page and get them a room on the IRC server.

(Retired)EQEmu Lead Tester
(Retired)EQEmu Tech Support

(Retired)Host/ServerOP - [LIVE] Official EQEmu Test Server
(Retired)Host/ServerOP - Shawn319's All-GM Dev Test Server
(Retired)ServerOP - EQEmu Beta Server
(Retired)ServerOP - GuildWars Server
(Retired)ServerOP - Raid Addicts
--------------------------
Old 04-23-2002, 01:52 AM
TheClaus
Discordant

Just send me a PM and i'll add you guys to the list. I would love to see this work very well. Here is the website for you all. Yeah you need to make a SF account but it allows access to the CVS and other things. http://sourceforge.net/projects/eqemudb
Old 04-23-2002, 03:48 AM
meliudaj
Hill Giant

I agree greatly with the idea of moving development to the source forge page... While EQEmu form is fun and usefull to chat on... source forge page has MANY development tools that really could help us right now that aren't being used.

If anything that is a good direction to go. I for one am going to try and start moving everything that direction.

On the other side You all have a good point about waiting for 0.3.2. If its going to do what it is being said it will do.. It would for sure be worth waiting for it to be created, then improve on it!
It kinda seems that once that is released.. we will all be on the same page anyway.

My vote is we try and start moving Discution/files/forum chat/3rd party Progs(I know alot are) ect... to the Source Forge now. That way we have a good break out point for when 0.3.2 comes out.

Sound good/doable?
Old 04-23-2002, 05:30 AM
TheClaus
Discordant

Sounds like a plan. We can still link the forums to a forum here or use SF. Just let me know. Gino and I started working on it but with all the changes going on it was tough to keep up. Though since they are letting us know ahead of time about the changes to the DB structs it should be alot easier to get them added into the db and have people get it from there.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:22 AM
Jartik
Fire Beetle

Sounds like a good idea to me
Old 04-26-2002, 09:45 AM
meliudaj
Hill Giant

Bump:

In responce to Trumpcard. The goal isn't so much to make a "TEAM" and assign people to do a certian part.. as then its more like a job!!!

But more to get people to simply LIST what they are doing in a CLEAR fashion so we can all just pick up the parts that need work.

This is where source forge comes in.... According to TheClause some are signing up.. but need more to participate!

Also then we can start takeing advantage of the progress following stuff there.

Goal: Is to get working mainly threw source forge by 3.2 time!