Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Misc > Archive::Off Topic

Archive::Off Topic Archive area for Off Topic's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Rogean
Administrator

Default Windows XP Service Pack 2

Iv heard good, Iv heard horrible.

Looking at what it updates, I like the idea of the pop up blocker, and etc. However, I have heard some BAD things about it. Share what you have heard please.

(P.S. I refuse to accept the Automatic Update for SP2).
Old 08-26-2004, 12:33 AM
mattmeck

Wife came home for R&R, updated her computer and the kids computer with it, had to reformat both of them.

Mine has been running it with no issues.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:58 AM
Rogean
Administrator

Also, I realized that whether or not you chose to install the SP2, It will install the new interface for the Automatic Updating. Tsk tsk tsk. Isn't that Illegal?
Old 08-26-2004, 05:14 AM
Darkwaters
Hill Giant

Its not illegal, but it certainly sucks. Recommendation here is never us MS SP's that use auto-update. They tend to cause more issues than help as far as untested mini-patches. But the largest issue with a SP that auto-updates is not having the ability to verify your drivers or hardware are compatable prior to the installation process, big big no no.
My 2c, "just say No" =)
Darkwaters
Old 08-26-2004, 05:21 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Only praises for Internet Explorer 6-SP2, but the new security stuff in Windows XP SP2 I can live without. If you dont have an antivirus + firewall on + automatic updates on (I have all 3 off) it sticks an annoying red X in a shield in your taskbar, but other than that its fine.

It's just ignorant to not download Internet Explorer 6-SP2 though. The pop-up blocker is amazing, and it stops ALL ActiveX and plugins like that unless you say so, so essentially NO background spyware/adware/hijackware will be downloaded unless you blantly consent.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:25 AM
Darkwaters
Hill Giant

Have to agree with you on IE SP2, its killer. But I'd rather have to put up with a red-X shield than auto-updating whatever MS wishes to update at whatever time they feel like. Nothing like playing EQEmu and all the sudden off kicks auto-update. LOL
Get IE SP2 and say the heck with the XP SP2. =)
Darkwaters
Old 08-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Draupner
Hill Giant

Havn't really noticed a diff with SP2 vs SP1 really
Old 08-27-2004, 07:59 AM
bUsh
Sarnak

Quite a significant difference, really. Check out Paul Thurrot's Win Supersite for a good (albeit, biased) overview of SP2's features.

Anyway, me likey!

* ServerOP * The Green Leaf Server
Old 08-27-2004, 08:18 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

SP2 ate my babies (
Old 08-27-2004, 12:57 PM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Quote:
Nothing like playing EQEmu and all the sudden off kicks auto-update. LOL
I have two startup profiles, the default that automatically takes after 10 seconds, and one labeled "Gaming". In my gaming one, some services like Auto Update, Messenger, and a few others are disabled. All services are enabled in the default.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:43 AM
vzmule
Fire Beetle

I installed the full 200+ MB "IT professional/developer" XP SP2 on one of my boxes before they came out with the consumer "express" version.

It was absolutely horrible. It made all applications load and run slower and browsing via IE was slowed down to a crawl.

On the bright side, I was impressed that by simply using the add/remove programs feature, I was able to reverse the installation.

I'll be sticking with SP1 for now on my windows machines.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:27 AM
bushman77
Hill Giant

Default xpsp2

i got that i like it for popoup and spyware crapol, but as i'm not running an enterprise server where each computer is dedicated to a specific purpose ie web server or sql server and an infrastructure server dedicated to only 1 specific task of serving these services. So i basically turn off all stuff and use popup blocker. Guess one could get a 'smaller' popup blocker for the task of webbrowing.
and i drunk right now too lol