Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::General Support

Archive::General Support Archive area for General Support's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

View Poll Results: Do You have LD Problems?
Yes 17 80.95%
No 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2004, 11:35 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

Yeah that sounds about right. My P3 450 with 256mb ram and 64mb card would play alright (1024x768...some luclin models enabled, new textures enabled...medium res i think), but on live, you just couldn't avoid people sometimes and it would...sllllooooowww....doooowwwnnn

Old 03-09-2004, 01:55 AM
jb586
Fire Beetle

You may also want to try to find and update to the latest drivers for your video card. On my old PC that presented me with some problems at one point in time. I played with old drivers for the longest time and one day it just kinda kept throwing me off of the game. Most people don't realise that they do in fact update drivers for old video cards. Except of course for your 3dfx cards, which the company was unfortunately bought out. You can still find old 3dfx drivers with a simple google search though.

Today that's not a problem for me. I run an Athlon XP 2600 oc'd to 2.42ghz, 1gb ddr400 ram, and an aTi radeon 9700 pro. I can run 4 boxes with all luclin models on with minimal lag. I can run about 6 boxes with old models on with no lag. I cant find anyone else to give me their info to try more with the old models on though, lol.

Anyway, good luck with that. If this doesnt work or you have anymore questions just post one up. I'm pretty knowledgable about hardwarish and internal computer information.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:02 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb586
hardwarish
Dude...is it okay if I use that word? I'm pretty sure you have rights to it since you made it up, but that's a good one. Hardwarish... hehe... yeah, I like it.

/salute
Old 03-09-2004, 04:41 AM
MrJag
Hill Giant

im betting if its a prob with alot of LDs its his ISP connection tho im on cable i also have some LD probs but not on all servers,

back when i ran very little ram and only had a 32mb video card i had some slow game play in some places but it never caused a LD , when i was 56k connection that caused alot of LDs tho,

now both my computers have alot better hardware and cable connection, i dont get the slow gameplay and thers only 2 emu server that give me packet loss and LDs,

on live, 1 comp has 128mb video and ther is zero lag anywhere and the comp with the 64mb video lags a tiny bit in places like PoK and thers 300 ppl around

comp with 128mb video has 1gig ram , comp with 64mb video had 512 but down to 256 now and only difference i see from the loss of ram on that system is a little bit slower zone time

i dont know how much the prosessor really counts both mine are over 2gig but i used to play with 500megs pre-luclin

i hear alot of different stuff about EQ and prosessors but id bet anything 700megs is just fine & more could only be better
Old 03-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Bendail
Fire Beetle

If you are lding a lot during battles mostly turn off all the battle spam, expecially your attacks, I know if I use #haste 85, and a Can O'whoop ass, I am able to take on god but at times I am getting to much packets and I LD. also this will happen when you near someone else that is killing and attacking stuff :(
Old 03-10-2004, 08:59 AM
fentheb
Fire Beetle

My old computer would just crash. a little box would come up saying that your client had encountered and error and did you want to send the result to soe or something like that. My new computer is fricken sweet. 1024 Mb Ram. 128MB radeon 9800. I can run it with all models enabled and the plane of knowledge only slows down rarely, like when there are those mass group buffs with 60 people standing around the nexus stone. of course the bazaar in still laggy.
My old omcputer used to run it fine but then one day it just kept crashing constantly. Maybe there was a patch and i didnt notice it.
I think it is his connection if it comes up that he has been disconnected, if it crashed it is driver or hardware issues.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:22 AM
Daeklaz
Sarnak

Crashing is SOE's problem, not yours. It's very frequent these days due to supposed "Memory Leaks" which is just a bunch of bull that's whipped up out of nowhere when the Devs have no other excuse because they don't know what to do. It happens many time too often and I was getting pretty sick of it so I came back to EQemu.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:47 PM
themushygod
Sarnak

hell ill be lucky if i can get past character select wothoput going LD

if i do i can never log back into a character only create a new one otherwise LD

then most of the time ill go LD anyway

should i acctuly get in the (very rare) im likely to go LD as i zone

i beleave ive only ever managed to zone once without going LD then i went LD when i zoned next

its pretty much unplayable for me

so short of setting up a local server on the same computer im on (no cabling/hub for a lan :( ) i cant play

but if it is possible to set up the server on the same computer as your playing can omeone point me to the link ive seen plenty for running one over a lan

peace mushy
Old 03-12-2004, 01:51 PM
themushygod
Sarnak

oh btw

im running

P4 2.6 ghz
256mb of ram
56k internet <-------- strong feeling this is the problem
Old 03-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Ligerous
Fire Beetle

My friend and I wanted to figure out exactly why people go link dead. First we tried hosting zones servers off the same computer for about an hour or so. We had about 20 people on, and we did a broadcast to zone in the arena for a small party, we had about 8 people in the zone. Everyone except for me went linkdead at least once (including my friend as he was logged on from his house). So we figured well maybe the server has too big of a load.

So we seperated the different zone servers on three differnet computers all off the same internet connection. Again we had about 20 more people did the same arena event. Same thing happened again and we had about 10 people this time. Everyone went link dead at least once during that half hour except for myself. My connection is a cable.

So this leads me to believe that it is the amount of bandwidth the server has. The theroy i came up with is, the reason people go link dead when theres more then 5 people in a zone is because every once in a while there might be a bandwidth spike as someone presses auto attack or something and there is not enough bandwidth for the burst. So a bunch of people go link dead due to the shortage. If anyone has/is on T-1 line or a T-3 line, maybe they could help out trying my theory.

Probably in a few years from now, a T-3 line will be in everyone's house, and we wont have this problem.....