Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:04 PM
iwantavr4
Sarnak

I had a big thing typed up, but in the interest of this project, im going to let it die... :P

Windcatcher is onto quite a few concepts... Long story short: Legalities speaking though, this place really is *not* into the clear... Youre not modifying the ford, youre recreating it.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Thanks to people like Wind , Khan , Cofruben, and all of the Devs on here I am in the process of replacing every zone with handmade zones from the grass to the buildings to every object in the zone. The only thing I have yet to learn is how to make my own NPCs , It is my long term goal to only be using the game engine and nothing more , I am stepping in that direction as I have three totaly unique zones and working on my fourth and largest which I am almost finished with, It will be a brand new starting zone where all classes and races will begin and the way of starting a new character itself will be unique. There still remains the problem of the EMU trying to always stay up with the big dog and I cant understand why that is, There have been a couple versions out that with time spent on them would have been pretty close to perfect if not perfected but the reasoning as to why the game of catchup eludes me. It seems most people had lost the passion for EQ about the time luclin and the mess that insued came about so why do we try so hard to keep up if no one even likes the new expansions and content? Wll I guess I am getting off track here but if we are to alienate ourselfs from being an Emu and a clone then I think we must forgo trying to stay up with Sony.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 06-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Sarepean
Discordant

I think what the devs, the packet collectors, and the quest team are doing is perfect. Every time they go forward in order to try and keep up with Sony, we gain new features that can be added to any modified content we put in. We gain new database columns to be manipulated.

One day, this game is going to disappear and, unlike games in the past, Sony's content isn't going to go down the tube with Everquest because we'll have it. I'm one of those people who hates not being able to find things because they've been lost to aging and everything else and I get a good feeling everytime I think that, as far as Everquest content, it's only a download and a CD burn away from not being lost to time.

Custom content is great, but the Original was heaven. Keep up the good work, guys!
Old 06-19-2005, 06:12 AM
solid11
Discordant

I like WC's ideas on how things could change with coding where we won't have to depend or worry about the changes Sony does to break things on here.

Another point he places is if emu is going to strive it needs to go custom, well besides PEQ, custom content seems to happen as a consequence anyway. Once you figure out how it's done, you wonder what can I add to make this better or "mine". Everyone wants others to experience something that they created. It's hard to get that same feeling when you know that "a_large_bat" right there is from live and you expect it and you don't give a second thought on how it got there or who did it.

This site, and emu, was made for the purpose of re-creating live because that's what everyone wanted and still do. There should be a balance of emulation and custom servers out there to attract a larger following. The Emu name will grow as things get better but is that what we want? How much attention do we want to bring when things start going good? I guess when emu has all it's ducks in a row relating to copyright, then it won't matter how large or popular it gets. I hope I'm around to see that day when EQEmu is in the gossip collumn of MSN.com's homepage