Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:28 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Make a text file and call it greatdivide_EnvironmentEmitters

Now open the file and paste this there...

Code:
Name^EmitterDefIdx^X^Y^Z^Lifespan
waterfallbottom^61^-35.6^-115^140.7^40000000
waterfallbottom^61^-35.6^-115^99.2^40000000
spray12^44^-35.6^-115^99.2^800000000
fallmist76^54^-38.6^-105^90^4000000
ekwaterfallbottom^71^-35.6^-115^85.2^40000000
falls33^54^-35.6^-115^99.2^40000000

Save it and put it in you EQ folder

This will give you somewhat of a waterfall in front of the Thurg opening....
I will work on making it better soon as I get some time...

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 08-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Midgett
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrateri View Post
Make a text file and call it greatdivide_EnvironmentEmitters

Now open the file and paste this there...

Code:
Name^EmitterDefIdx^X^Y^Z^Lifespan
waterfallbottom^61^-35.6^-115^140.7^40000000
waterfallbottom^61^-35.6^-115^99.2^40000000
spray12^44^-35.6^-115^99.2^800000000
fallmist76^54^-38.6^-105^90^4000000
ekwaterfallbottom^71^-35.6^-115^85.2^40000000
falls33^54^-35.6^-115^99.2^40000000

Save it and put it in you EQ folder

This will give you somewhat of a waterfall in front of the Thurg opening....
I will work on making it better soon as I get some time...
Thx for the time you put into this, Sak. I added it to my directory in the mean time.

I have been working on finding the source of this problem ever since my last post. I am now 99.9999% certain the problem is not the emulator. I have been experimenting with the tutorialb zone where two of the new waterfalls can be found. I figured if I could make the waterfalls go away, I could figure out how to fix them in great divide. I attached .bak ext. to all of the tutorialb zone files except the tutorialb.eqg file. The waterfalls didn't go away when I zoned out and back in. I then used the S3D tool to go into the eqg file to see what all it had in it. I eliminated every texture file and model file in there except for the terrain (sp?) file. With the exception of the NPCs the emu put there, everything went away except for the waterfalls and terrain. The terrain textures went away and the "blank white screen" of the waterfalls were all that was left. I did this same experiment in an older zone with the older waterfalls. I can remove the texture and the "blank white screen" of the waterfall is all thats left. For some reason, this blank white screen is missing in great divide and therefore there isn't a "wall" to "wallpaper." This blank white screen is obviously apart of the zone terrain, or at least, part of some emitter in this file.

I went back to all the expansion kits I purchased in the past and tried installing them in different directories. I then moved the great divide files to my client directory in hopes that they were just corrupt files. It still didn't fix the problem. This leads me to believe that SOE implemented their new 3D engine into eqgame.exe before all of the zone files were brought up-to-date. That would explain why all the newer zones have waterfalls and some of the older zones don't (e.g. PoN, GD,PoT,Stonebrunt..). Or, it could be a combination of the three: Newer DirectX + Newer eqgame.exe + older waterfall parameters. They more or less sold us broken files on a retail CD with the intention of patching them. As for SoF, they just sold us the broken titanium files again. They just added the new files on top of them. If I had to guess, Anniversary is the same story since it was released after titanium.

The classic waterfalls from the old world work just fine. Unfortunately, I can't confirm my "theories" because none of my earlier expansion clients work with the emu.

I read in a thread that you are working on an older classic server with the older clients. Can you fire up your server and swing by GD and see if the falls are there?

If anyone has a live account, could you move the great divide zone files from your live directory over to your SoF/Titanium directory and see if the waterfalls appear? Don't forget to backup your files first!

I would hate to re-activate my account just to test a theory.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 PM
steve
Discordant

No change moving the files over.

I really think it's a DirectX issue. They never went back and changed any of the old zones when upgrading the DirectX version during GoD. They updated a few textures, but I think that was before GoD came out.

I'd blame a broken eqmain.dll file, but the waterfall was for sure working during SoF. And even with SoF client files, the waterfall does not show up in the emulator. Perhaps it's a missing opcode or data sent during the zoning process that we haven't identified yet?

Maybe someone could check the zone output when zoning into Great Divide?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

This is definitely an EQEMU issue only, No the waterfalls do not work with the oldest client and CD I have (The Gold Oiginal Disk).

In the past playing on live the waterfall has worked then EQEMU updated and you were able to play with the live client till live patched again. I was an avid lover of Great Divide and still am and noticed switching from playing to live then to EQEMU the waterfall would disappear on EQEMU then come back when I played live on the SAME client.

The only explanation I could come up with was the waterfall was on the SOE database only.

I have wasted many hours in the past trying to figure this out but it is an EQEMU only problem...

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 08-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Midgett
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
No change moving the files over.

I really think it's a DirectX issue. They never went back and changed any of the old zones when upgrading the DirectX version during GoD. They updated a few textures, but I think that was before GoD came out.

I'd blame a broken eqmain.dll file, but the waterfall was for sure working during SoF. And even with SoF client files, the waterfall does not show up in the emulator. Perhaps it's a missing opcode or data sent during the zoning process that we haven't identified yet?

Maybe someone could check the zone output when zoning into Great Divide?
Thx for taking the time to do this Steve. You saved me some $$.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Midgett
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrateri View Post
This is definitely an EQEMU issue only, No the waterfalls do not work with the oldest client and CD I have (The Gold Oiginal Disk).

In the past playing on live the waterfall has worked then EQEMU updated and you were able to play with the live client till live patched again. I was an avid lover of Great Divide and still am and noticed switching from playing to live then to EQEMU the waterfall would disappear on EQEMU then come back when I played live on the SAME client.

The only explanation I could come up with was the waterfall was on the SOE database only.

I have wasted many hours in the past trying to figure this out but it is an EQEMU only problem...
This is interesting. Maybe it's like what Steve said, an unknown opcode not being sent by the emu? I didn't take that position for very long in the beginning because it didn't make sense that all the newest/oldest waterfalls worked but the ones in the intermediate eras didn't work. It seems like a waste of server resources to put the responsibility of waterfalls on your servers rather than the clients. I guess they get what they pay for.

You called some things to my attention I didn't know. Now I know what the patch_live.conf file is now. If you went from emu to live and vice versa, using the same client, that would seem to sum things up.

Thx for all the great feedback, gentlemen. I hope the poor soul that started this thread returns one day to see all the great feedback.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 AM
AndMetal
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaz View Post
I have particle effects turned off to reduce lag on this tiny computer. This kills the Thurg waterfall for me. Perhaps you should play with the particle settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Also, the 'waterfall' in Great Divide isn't really water, so wasn't affected by the water texture upgrades. It's more of a flowing 'mist' particle effect than anything else. Which leads me to believe it's probably graphical settings turned down too low that is stopping it from displaying for some people.
When I played on Live, I would see the waterfall when heading into Thurg. However, if my guild was raiding Kael, I would turn my particle effects to low/off to reduce lag (sometimes using /showspelleffects off). If I would forget to turn them back on after the raid, I would no longer see the waterfall.

However, when I tested this on both the Titanium & SoF clients, the waterfall didn't appear

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Well, It seems to be the City of Edmonton, Washington that is to blame!

http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_r...waterfall.aspx

P.S. will still be trying to figure this out.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 AM
ivanstalyn
Fire Beetle

Default woot! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgett View Post
Thx for all the great feedback, gentlemen. I hope the poor soul that started this thread returns one day to see all the great feedback.
The poor soul also thanks all your feedbak.

The emitter file for this zone works really nice.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

anyone managed to fix Stonebrunt waterfall the same way?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Midgett
Fire Beetle

Default Waterfall clipping

I know the waterfalls were fixed awhile back (Thanks Derision!). Does anyone know a way to adjust the clipping? Unless you get right up on the waterfall in Great Divide/Tranquility,etc., the waterfall clips real bad.

I quit Live back before the new waterfalls went live, so this might have been Sony's solution to the zone lag issue caused by the old waterfalls, or it could be as simple as adjusting parameters in the database. I don't have a live account so I can't log in to confirm it. I have already played with the display settings on the Titanium and SoF clients. Same result.

There used to actually be two waterfalls in GD. The one in front of Thurgadin and at the top of that one, up against the mountain, there was another one. You could see both from a distance.

Any suggestions?

Emu: 1804
PEQ: 1804
Old 01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

You can adjust the zone clipping plane in the zone table.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Midgett
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
You can adjust the zone clipping plane in the zone table.
I did toy with the minclip and maxclip as well as the fog_minclip and fog_maxclip. No luck. I didn't think at first this would be the issue since I could see accross the zone, but I gave it a shot anyway.

It could be that the new waterfalls were meant to clip like that. I can't verify that though. Thx man!