Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::Linux Servers

Archive::Linux Servers Archive area for Linux Servers's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-06-2002, 06:36 PM
flipper
Sarnak

<editted>Removed head from ass and fixed my problem. Hopefully nobody read this post yet
Old 08-07-2002, 12:14 AM
psten
Fire Beetle

Default My experience with Linux...

Okay - take this for what it is worth....

Currently on my system at home - RedHat Linux 7.3

Now - I have read many things and it seems that SuSE and Mandrake-linux are the top performers. However, SuSE is a pain in the arse to set up. Mandrake-linux is the easiest to set up (makes partitioning a breeze for setting up dual-boot enviornments). BUT - The newest version of Mandrake is slightly older than the rest. Therefore - it does not come with KDE 3.x and the newest version of XFree86. Not to mention the GNOME enviornment. Though, as of 8/7/02, Mandrake is releasing the Beta II version of their newest release. From what I had on Mandrake - I liked it better. It's config program had a lot more options that RedHat's doesn't offer and it just seemed to run faster and more stable. So if I like Mandrake better, why do I run RedHat? For the sole reason that RedHat comes with both KDE and XFree86 (both the newest versions) installed. And believe me, you do not want to go through installing XFree86.

Some tips:
- Use the KDE desktop enviornment - GNOME has a cool look... but the configuration options go down the drain, plus KDE is a lot more customizable

- When Mandrake comes out with their new version of Linux I am going to install it, I suggest anyone else does too (IMHO)

- INSTALL WINDOWS OR ANY OTHER OS BEFORE INSTALLING LINUX... If you are going to install Windows - make sure it is before installing Linux. Windows will overwrite your MBR and not recognize that Lnux is even anywhere near you system - plus GRUB and LILO look cooler than Windows' boot loader (if you ever get Windows' to work)

- Remember: You are dealing with open source software - which means there are going to be bugs. I don't care how stable anyone says Linux is - there are still bugs - such as the infamous disappearing system bar.

Hopefully this will help.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:26 AM
donfi
Sarnak

I have used Redhat in 3 different versions starting with 5.2. It is the second hardest to configure correctly.

I have used debian. This is the hardest.

I have used SUSE in at least two different releases. I will not complain it is a good distribution.

I have used Mandrake in 5? different releases. I am currently running with 8.0 and waiting for 9.0 to be released. This one fixes most of Redhats configurations problems.

I have used Turbo Linux. I like it too.

The moral here is any of the above distributions could be the right one for you. Or anyone else. What I regaurd as a problem you may reguard as a feature. That is one of the largest problems of working in linux. There is little in the way of "standardization" so personal opinion is what most people go by.

Go to linuxmall.com on the internet and order a variety pack. That is a set of at least 6 different distributions install cds. Install all of them till you find the one you like and then purchase the full release. The total cost is usually under $100 for a compleat installation including the route through the variety pack. That is 1/2 of the cost of a full install of XP or any other current windows product bought outside of a show. I suggest buying the varity pack because it can take 2 days to download each install disk and for six distributions it is easier to purchase. I suggest buying the full install because that way you get some extras that will not be in the downloads or in the variety pack.

Best wishes Don.