Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Tools

Archive::Tools Archive area for Tools's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:43 PM
omper
Sarnak

Default almost done..

OK.. Almost done.. ill release the alpha version soon.. I have these working

Mob Placement and Updates
Waypoints add and update
Account mgmt
Char Mgmt

Not working correctly

Item Additions and Updates
Inventory Add/adjust
Zone mod's

Thanks..
Omper

Michigan Jay's God Server
Old 11-23-2003, 02:57 PM
omper
Sarnak

Default Changing Format

OK.. i have successfully been persuaded to convert to something other then Access..

SO.. I am now Writing this program in C++.. There i said it.. Are ya happy now..

argh!!!!

More to come.. I am a bit rusty.. well alot rusty.. Crap i never really knew the programming to begin with.. hahaha..

Omper
Old 11-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Eglin
Hill Giant

Default Re: Changing Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by omper
OK.. i have successfully been persuaded to convert to something other then Access..

SO.. I am now Writing this program in C++.. There i said it.. Are ya happy now..

argh!!!!

More to come.. I am a bit rusty.. well alot rusty.. Crap i never really knew the programming to begin with.. hahaha..

Omper
Why not just convert your access application to vb? Your forms can be brought over with almost no changes, and your queries can be easily wrapped. Likewise, your macros can be brought over directly with zero modification. Just a suggestion... hate to see you throw away your existing work.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:59 PM
omper
Sarnak

Default maybee

well maybee for the shorthall.. however i would be ridiculed by some of the developers for using the dreaded VB.. HAHAH.. so i will, in the end, convert this with more usefull tools to C++ at some point..

Omper

PS.. It is looking very good now.. got most all working..
Old 11-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Eglin
Hill Giant

Default Re: maybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by omper
i would be ridiculed by some of the developers for using the dreaded VB.
I don't care one way or the other, but don't underestimate the dev team. If you create a useful tool, you can expect to be greeted with adoration, not mockery.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:55 PM
Eshry
Sarnak

here is a quote from a dev... regarding a program I suggested, but trashed eventually, mostly because of this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Image
still would be nice if we had a special GUI instead of using normal telnet, but please no VB!
Old 11-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Eglin
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshry
here is a quote from a dev... regarding a program I suggested, but trashed eventually, mostly because of this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Image
still would be nice if we had a special GUI instead of using normal telnet, but please no VB!
Suggesting a program to be written in VB is a lot different than providing a program written in VB.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Eshry
Sarnak

Not too terribly much... personally, I like VB, it takes care of the dirty work, so that I can just do the real coding... I was going to work on the program in VB... then that person suggested it be done in a different language, so I decided to scratch it.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

Theres nothing wrong with VB, it can do the job fine in most cases.

Don't let anyone tell you how to program, do it in what feels comfortable and right, there are plenty of tools/languages out there, use the one you feel will do the job...

Usually people that bitch and moan about one language or another do so for one of a few reasons.. 1) Its the only one they know 2) Their friends told them it sucked, so you should use something use 3) They dont want to have to try to support it...

Plenty of tools have been written for eqemu using VB, don't let anyone deter you if thats the language you feel like writing it in. Personally, trying to do something in C++ that could easily handled in VB is a waste of time and effort in my honest opinion. VB is an excellent, rapid prototyping and development language, its abstracts the things away from you that you really shouldnt worry about (ie the windowing componets and event listeners)
Old 11-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Eshry
Sarnak

Thank you, Trumpcard, couldn't have explained it better myself.