Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::Windows Servers

Archive::Windows Servers Archive area for Windows Servers's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Epoch18
Fire Beetle

Code:
[LoginServer]
loginserver=eqemulator.net
loginport=5995
worldname= Gabriel's High Heaven (TESTING Extreme Non-Legit)
worldaddress=ip68-104-62-54.lv.lv.cox.net
locked=False
Still port 5995 : )
Old 08-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Darkwaters
Hill Giant

umm ok here's a little problem then that I would like you to test. take the non-routing router configure it to route and setup your ip addresses as you would on the wireless you can plug your wireless router into the hard-wired router via uplink or X-over if you'd like for the laptop. Just a test to verify for my sanity purposes that due to it being on a "wireless" network there could be issues pushing the size of the graphics/textures etc.. as mentioned on Cox Comm. support page use the wired router for heavy usage such as gaming because of packet loss. Just an idea and I certainly wouldn't say ya gotta do this. Hope ya don't mind the suggestion.
Darkwaters
Old 08-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Darkwaters
Hill Giant

could also be just a flukey issue between the two routers there are other options that even non-routing would disallow based on certain brands. I just wish to help. =))
Darkwaters
Old 08-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Darkwaters
Hill Giant

Default Your wireless router is all this post pertains too

Here is a portion of the tech support stating some info on setting up your wireless just for confirmation that you've done something similar for your EQEmu config on the router.

Quote:
Q: I setup an Unreal Tournament Server, but others on the LAN cannot join. What do I need to do?
A: If you have a dedicated Unreal Tournament server running, you need to create a static IP for each of the LAN computers and forward ports 7777, 7778, 7779, 7780, 7781, and 27900 to the IP address of the server. If you want to use the UT Server Admin, forward another port (8080 usually works well), then in the [UWeb.WebServer] section of the server.ini file, set the ListenPort to 8080 (to match the mapped port above) and ServerName to the IP assigned to the Router from your ISP.

Q: How do I get Half-Life: Team Fortress to Work with the Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router?
A: The default client port for Half-Life is 27005. The computers on your LAN need to have "+clientport 2700x" to the HL shortcut command line; the x would be 6, 7, 8, and on up. This lets multiple computers connect to the same server. One problem: version 1.0.1.6 won't let multiple computers with the same CD key connect at the same time, even if on the same LAN (not a problem with 1.0.1.3). As far as hosting games, the HL server does not need to be in the DMZ. Just forward port 27015 or 27016 to the local IP of the server computer. There remains, however, a problem with people being booted after a few minutes with an "illegible server message."
Notice
Quote:
As far as hosting games, the HL server does not need to be in the DMZ. Just forward port 27015 or 27016 to the local IP of the server computer. There remains, however, a problem with people being booted after a few minutes with an "illegible server message."
it may or may not have a similar type thing to do with it.

Again not saying you haven't just hoping something was missed it would be nicer to find this the case then some freaky undiscoverable issue. =) Also check the router security log if its active for any additional hints.
Darkwaters
Old 08-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Epoch18
Fire Beetle

Well, I have everything going through the wired router, however, as mentioned before, it takes forever to load DB stuff, and it's late and I have work tomorrow, so I'm off to bed. If yu happen to be staying up for me, I appreciate it : ) but I'll return tomorrow.

Talk to you then.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Darkwaters
Hill Giant

No problem bro, glad to be here for ya, you have a great night. And I'll look for your reply either in posts or PM
Darkwaters
Old 08-23-2004, 01:35 AM
kidder
Fire Beetle

Hi again, I know Darkwaters and you have been working your butts off on this...I'm curious about this problem so went and checked our test servers "boot5zones.bat" file. (I noticed you changed your worldserver address to an DNS URL.)

Your boot5zones.bat looks like this:
Quote:
@echo off

if NOT exist spells_us.txt goto NOSPELL

start zone . 68.104.62.54 7995 5.5.1.11
start zone . 68.104.62.54 7996 5.5.1.11
start zone . 68.104.62.54 7997 5.5.1.11
start zone . 68.104.62.54 7998 5.5.1.11
start zone . 68.104.62.54 7999 5.5.1.11
exit
cls

:NOSPELL
echo You did not copy the spells_us.txt from your everquest directory to this one. Please do so or zones will

crash on startup.
PAUSE
It has your external IP on the left and your internal IP on the right. After checking our boot5zones.bat I see we have the internal IP on both sides...and I can login, create a character, zone into the game, and play. So maybe try this one instead:

Quote:
@echo off

if NOT exist spells_us.txt goto NOSPELL

start zone . 5.5.1.11 7995 5.5.1.11
start zone . 5.5.1.11 7996 5.5.1.11
start zone . 5.5.1.11 7997 5.5.1.11
start zone . 5.5.1.11 7998 5.5.1.11
start zone . 5.5.1.11 7999 5.5.1.11
exit
cls

:NOSPELL
echo You did not copy the spells_us.txt from your everquest directory to this one. Please do so or zones will

crash on startup.
PAUSE
If all the ports are open on your router correctly and forwarding to your internal IP, then this is worth a try. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:14 AM
kidder
Fire Beetle

So it was still bugging me, so I did some testing on our test server. I changed the boot5zones.bat file on our end to have the external ip on the left and internal ip on the right...like yours is setup. I can now login to the server and make a character, but when I try to zone in I get booted back to the login screen. Like you are.

So give that change I mentioned above a try. One other thing that I remembered when trying to play from the same LAN as the server was that the HOSTS file in windows needs to have a pointer added so that your computer doesnt try to resolve the URL using an outside DNS server. There is a thread discussing it somewhere on the forums...if you can't find the thread I can post some instructions on how to modify the hosts file.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:15 AM
wize_one
Dragon

i know at least in my area (paradise and sunset) that cox was not setup for linksys cable modems.

also a strange thing with my setup before, (i run netgear routers) the wired one wouldnt open the ports(dmz didnt work even) but using the wireless it allowed thed the ports to be opened right.

cox may have gotten smart about the port thing.. hehe was going arround their port blocks all the time.. they had telnet mail and http all blocked from inc connections.

not sure if your internal ip setup might be the trouble or not, might try changeing that machine to a 192.168 just to try.
Perfect quote from another site: it's immature pricks who refuse to read the numerous stickies in every forum pointing out what to do and what not to do that get flamed. Grow up and learn to do your fucking homework before opening your cake hole, junior. EQEmu doesn't like you anymore, and that's why you're getting errors. So go away.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:22 AM
Darkwaters
Hill Giant

Very Thankful for the extra great suggestions and help with this issue. =)) I've pulled out about 1/2 of my remaining hair trying to find a solution hehe. =)
Darkwaters
Old 08-23-2004, 05:37 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wize_one
cox may have gotten smart about the port thing.. hehe was going arround their port blocks all the time.. they had telnet mail and http all blocked from inc connections.
Really?? None of that here with cox, my router will direct every port I throw at it sucessfully.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:46 AM
Epoch18
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually already changed my hosts file. Let me find it...
Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host
127.0.0.1 localhost
5.5.1.11 ip68-108-180-181.lv.lv.cox.net
Reason for the DNS isntead of IP being (of course) because the host file has to point from IP to name, not IP to IP.

I will try altering my boot5zones to reflect both internal IP's. instead of internal and external. From what your troubleshooting desriptions imply, I think I might be ok. Let me load up my server and give it a shot. I will post with my results soon.

Second question though... when I'm on a client computer and log into EQ (S2k patched) I have problems there too. Forst off, it's never a garauntee that I'll get a server list. I have to keep restarting EQ and eventually I'll get a list. Then, when I finally get a list, I select my server, click play.................. then it times out. If I keep re-logging in, maybe eventually I'll get in. THen of course after that, I find my client feezing at the character select screen.

I'm sure all of this could be attributed toward my current server settings.... but I just though I'd ask about it. Thanks again for everything! : )
Old 08-23-2004, 07:00 AM
wize_one
Dragon

also on the 2 year ip, thats not correct unless ya paid cox for a static ip.. i see mine change about once a month(lv, nv cox anyways(hense my paradise-sunset reference earlier).. try the no-ip thing.. it's a small util that runs on your machine and updates the dns at no-ip.. it's totally free for dns forwarding.. if you start getting fancy with it(mail and such then there is a cost) something to check into.. dont have to worry about changing ips then
Perfect quote from another site: it's immature pricks who refuse to read the numerous stickies in every forum pointing out what to do and what not to do that get flamed. Grow up and learn to do your fucking homework before opening your cake hole, junior. EQEmu doesn't like you anymore, and that's why you're getting errors. So go away.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:45 AM
kidder
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch18

Second question though... when I'm on a client computer and log into EQ (S2k patched) I have problems there too. Forst off, it's never a garauntee that I'll get a server list. I have to keep restarting EQ and eventually I'll get a list. Then, when I finally get a list, I select my server, click play.................. then it times out. If I keep re-logging in, maybe eventually I'll get in. THen of course after that, I find my client feezing at the character select screen.

I'm sure all of this could be attributed toward my current server settings.... but I just though I'd ask about it. Thanks again for everything! : )
All those things that you list as problems with logging into the emulator are things that I have too. They are infrequent, but do happen...empty server list, occasional lock-ups, and freezing at character select. I normally just try again and it works. In some cases I think the login server is actually having a problem, but that is usually fixed pretty quickly.

I don't think any of those problems have anything to do with your current server settings.

Hope that boot5zones.bat change works for you.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Epoch18
Fire Beetle

Quote:
also on the 2 year ip, thats not correct unless ya paid cox for a static ip
No, I'm completely serious and totally sure that my IP hasn't changed in over 8 months, and that was just cause I changed routers. And no, I don't pay for a static IP. I think it's just the area of town I'm in, or the node I'm assigned to. I work for Cox so, I know how most things work