Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 PM
KLS
Administrator

I'd say very often is a bit of an exaggeration.

Hopefully I can get in touch with fnw soon. Cavedude is out till tuesday and fnw still is out on a trip of some sort.

Also I think Rogean was interested in offering something temporary till we could get where we wanted to go but Cavedude has been too busy to really talk to him about it.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 PM
r8n8
Fire Beetle

You're too nice. I was gonna go out into the woods and make a club to beat donations out of people.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 PM
sorvani
Dragon

will be interesting to see what happens when they release Kunark.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
will be interesting to see what happens when they release Kunark.
I know I'm not wasting my time until Kunark is out. How people can waddle around in only original EQ is beyond me...BORING!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:07 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWatchdog View Post
I know I'm not wasting my time until Kunark is out. How people can waddle around in only original EQ is beyond me...BORING!
Yeah, I'm a noob, I didn't start EQ Live until Luclin came out. I got burned on UO when it was released by some asshats corpse camping, and said F-it to online pay to play. But a friend got me to give EQ a try when Luclin came out and we all know how that crack habit went.

I wandered in to P1999 for a bit to see how old world worked. No thanks, I prefer to PLAY during my online time. Not sit and med for more than half the time. I don't have the RL time to spend doing that like I did in 2001. If they were going to take the server past Velious, I might go back during the Velious and level up to be ready for Luclin, but stopping at Velious is a no thanks for me also.

Final straw, no boxing. I understand if they don't want unlimited connections allowing one person to have an army. But after the first 6 months on live, I bought a second copy of the game and ever since ran 2 boxes. That was how I enjoyed the game. I do not enjoy sitting bored with one toon for the majority of each hour.

Everyone likes different things. just my take on it.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM
r8n8
Fire Beetle

Original EQ doesn't really flesh out until the mid/late 30s, until then it is hideously boring. The only thing expansions did was ease the 1-30 part into something more bearable because you could twink.

Of course, there's also LGuk and Dragon raids which many people missed out on.

It's not really EQ if you haven't been through all of LGuk
Old 08-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Quellren
Fire Beetle

Though it's been said eleventy billion times, it bears repeating. The glory of EQ, specifically EQ pre-PoP, is that it was vastly different than anything else. We loved it simply because we didn't know any different.
I spun up EQemu intending to revel in my P99 glory days and realized very quickly I was spoiled by newer MMO's. I hate WoW for all that the community is, and has made it. It's childish and petty. It's greedy and elitist. But it flat destroys EQ classic, and frankly all of EQ that isn't LDoN sheerly by instancing. Guk was certainly a vivid memory,a fond one too. But everyone remembers the epic Frenzy group they had, not the 3 hours waiting, killing light blue/green entrance mobs whittling down the list of 6 tanks that arrived before you. You aren't leaving unless your guildie/best friend has a reserved spot for you DEEP in SolB, cuz at 48+, guk is the only game in town. This doesn't change until the world is SO HUGE that there are simply too many dungeons to camp. And then the population teeters on the brink of what PEQ is. Unless you have a pre-formed group formed in a city, multibox, or badly outlevel the content and can solo it, it's empty.
Because of this, I now LOATHE camping. Hell, I don't even like re-running the same instance twice in a row.
EDIT: This is why I 2 (or more) box. usually a mage and a shaman. I can count on one hand the number of parties I've been in including when it was for the random grp buff.
I feel like PEQ is essentially Diablo 2 all over again. Everyone knows, you get to act V and then join an 8 player game, but dont group and farm an act for good exp and drops. Socialization without the interaction of grouping.

Last edited by Quellren; 08-27-2010 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: more to say
Old 08-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Mghargh
Fire Beetle

For those out there griping about the server & hesitating about donating.

I've not had a full-time job in nearly 2 years after working for the same company for 14 years after they got bought out & new owners decided to move plant across country. Doing part time work where I can get it & living off my savings. I had only been playing here for about a month & enjoyed myself so much I decided to donate. I dug into what i had set aside for a little fun & sent CD $200.00, I'm not saying for everybody to do that{it would help though}, I'm just saying send a little IF you are enjoying yourself. If you're NOT enjoying yourself then why are you here? If there are 300 players here & they could average $10 each it would be DONE.

Anybody unhappy with my statement, type it out double-spaced in large type, fold it until it is all sharp corners, & I think you know the rest.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mghargh View Post
For those out there griping about the server & hesitating about donating.

I've not had a full-time job in nearly 2 years after working for the same company for 14 years after they got bought out & new owners decided to move plant across country. Doing part time work where I can get it & living off my savings. I had only been playing here for about a month & enjoyed myself so much I decided to donate. I dug into what i had set aside for a little fun & sent CD $200.00, I'm not saying for everybody to do that{it would help though}, I'm just saying send a little IF you are enjoying yourself. If you're NOT enjoying yourself then why are you here? If there are 300 players here & they could average $10 each it would be DONE.

Anybody unhappy with my statement, type it out double-spaced in large type, fold it until it is all sharp corners, & I think you know the rest.
see, theres another thread where everyone has already stressed things about the server being down... i think now most of us are just stirring up shit because its fun, and the only thing to do right now.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM
gaeorn
Developer

Fatboy5706, please remove the disgusting image from your signature. This is not the place for it.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeorn View Post
Fatboy5706, please remove the disgusting image from your signature. This is not the place for it.
its not like we all havnt seen that episode, and strive to be the gamer cartman is.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 PM
badplayer
Sarnak

He's from Kentucky, they crap on the floor there.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Rogean
Administrator

Been trying to get cavedude to talk to me to discuss a better solution, even if its temporary (It could be permanent) and he hasn't gotten back to me.

I hate seeing PEQ Down. P1999's stability and the servers and network it runs on are proven now that we moved since the last ddos attacks and thwarted them, I see no reason we can't share it.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:18 PM
renoturks
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
Been trying to get cavedude to talk to me to discuss a better solution, even if its temporary (It could be permanent) and he hasn't gotten back to me.

I hate seeing PEQ Down. P1999's stability and the servers and network it runs on are proven now that we moved since the last ddos attacks and thwarted them, I see no reason we can't share it.
As a permanent solution, wouldn't this be putting all of our eggs into one basket? If we lose the host, we lose two servers instead of one.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:02 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoturks View Post
As a permanent solution, wouldn't this be putting all of our eggs into one basket? If we lose the host, we lose two servers instead of one.
If they're using virtual machines, most likely it would only take out one VM and not the whole system. If the whole system went down, then there's a huge problem.