Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Tools

Archive::Tools Archive area for Tools's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-03-2004, 07:08 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Default OpenZone .SCN and .MSH information

Apparently some of you are interested in working with the OpenZone .MSH files I made and you need some help with the file format. Most of it is self-explanatory, but the TRIANGLE, TRIANGLETEX, RECTANGLE, and RECTANGLETEX statements could use some explanation. Here I'll outline what they mean so people can read them (of course you could also look at OpenZone's souce code -- namely TMeshObject.LoadFromFile() in ZoneClasses.pas).

TRIANGLE

X1, Y1, Z1 - first point location

X2, Y2, Z2 - second point location

X3, Y3, Z3 - third point location

Textures - semicolon-delimited list of textures (no file path or extension)

Transparent - True if the object is totally transparent

Semitransparent - True if the object is semitransparent

Solid - False if the player can pass through it (like a cobweb, for instance)

Color - 32-bit RGBA number specifying a hue to apply to the object

HasColor - If true, then Color is applied, otherwise Color is ignored.

Tag - Used for ground meshes. Signifies that polygon's position on the ground grid.

HasTag - If false, then Tag is ignored.

Angle - Used for ground meshes. Should only contain 0, 90, 180, or 270, and specifies the texture orientation on the ground grid.

HasAngle - If false, then Angle is ignored (default angle is 0).

Masked - If true, then the object uses a masked texture (like the leaves on a tree). Masked textures have areas that are transparent.

HasMasked - If false, then Masked is ignored.

HasNormal - if false then the following Normal fields are ignored:

NX1,NY1,NZ1,NX2,NY2,NZ2,NX3,NY3,NZ3 - The components of the polygon's normal vector. Note that a normal vector is always 1 unit long.

TRIANGLETEX is similar to TRIANGLE, except that it also contains texture coordinates for each vertex:

TX1,TZ1,TX2,TZ2,TX3,TZ3 - Texture coordinates for each vertex. They come immediately after the vertex values (X1...Z3).

RECTANGLE and RECTANGLETEX are similar to the triangle variants but there are four vertex and texture coordinates instead of three.

I realize that this file format is a hack. I really should just trash it and go to an XML-based format and include something to convert to it. Anyway, hopefully this will help those of you who are trying to read .MSH files. If you have more questions, feel free to drop me a line.

WC
Old 07-03-2004, 07:48 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Thanks WC for clearing this.
This will help a lot us to make a 3DSMax script when we will have some free time (Read when we will have create some nice zones).

Old 07-03-2004, 08:49 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Something else, it would be nice to have more informations about 3DS and Texture importation, because actually, THIS is the main problem with OpenZone, we can make nice zone mesh with a lots of object, but having them textured, lets say it, is the hell.

Everytime we try to import a multitextured object in OpenZone, texture dont show. We could do the whole zone under Max (Adding object directly to zone mesh) and import it in OpenZone but problem is the same.
Question is, what you done to make MSH object multi textured, or if people are working on custom zones, what procedure they use ?

I know you already answered (PM and on Forum), we know it must be BMP 24bit 256 x 256, but even if we strictly respect this, it dont work.