Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Database/World Building

Development::Database/World Building World Building forum, dedicated to the EQEmu MySQL Database. Post partial/complete databases for spawns, items, etc.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Rhodan
Hill Giant

Default MySQL gotcha -recordcount/absoluteposition

I've been bashing my head against the wall trying to figure out why I couldn't use recordcount and absoluteposition with VB6 ADO on the variables table and I've finally figured it out.

TIMESTAMPS!

A few of the variables have 0000... for a timestamp which somehow breaks mysql's ability to provide all the information requested, or maybe its ADO not being able to handle the bad timestamp... or something.

I was just experimenting with (a copy of) the variables table, removing items one by one until the ADO stuff would work. It took a few tries before I noticed the timestamp trend in the failures (doesn't help that the window had all but the first two timestamp digits hidden lol!

Anyway, I threw in real timestamps and all of a sudden all my ADO stuff has come to life. Hopefully anyone else having this problem in the future will score a hit on this post and be saved the hassle and headaches.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:11 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

I never figured out why recordcount never worked - always returned -1 for whatever reason, and this is not just here - it also happens at work when I'm working with Oracle - go figure.
I typically do -

While NOT RS.EOF(1)
Wend

..and iterate through the recordset.
I think ADO does not work well with many aspects of MySql such as BLOB Objects and Time/Date stamps

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 11-16-2006, 03:31 AM
Rhodan
Hill Giant

Funny thing is, I don't use recordcount or absoluteposition either. I was just experimenting with the different locktypes and cursor locations and it wasn't doing what it was supposed to - and that bugged me!