Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:10 AM
Richardo
Banned

Default How to get boats working..

Ok, I do this on Dark Horizons and it works perfectly, sure its a little ghetto and there are probably better ways of going at this but whatever, they work... This is not a tutorial for people that dont know perl or how to write new functions which is why I didnt put it in tutorial section.

First..
we will use oasis for an example.

Spawn the boat in oasis and make the boat start away from the docks, create a grid that leads the boat at the docks and depart to a final waypoint which will stop for 30seconds.

Once the boat goes to the final waypoint which is at the edge of the sea, make a waypoint check in perl and on the check, make it set a proximity that teleports players to the coordinates of the boat in the next zone, and also make a timer on the waypoint check for 10 seconds and once the timer is up, use quest::depop(); and set the boattimer to however long it will take the second boat to dock and make its round trip.

Ok, here is the tricky part. On the second boat that players will spawn on, you must give it a proximity and when players enter the proximity, you will need to make it close the proximity and set a timer on the boat for 30 seconds giving players enough time to load through. After the 30second timer is up, make it join a grid that will go to the docks and then make the boat go to another edge of water and set another proximity that will teleport the players back to the boat on the oasis side. After the proximity is set, give it a 10 second timer and make it leave the waypoint causing the boat to wander back to its original spawnpoint. (It may not leave where you made it leave the grid so you might want to make it depop using quest::depop(); and give it a fast respawn time)

Anyhow, thats a hard and tedious way to redo boats, now if you have a better idea, please feel free to post your strategic idea below.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:40 PM
phasepuma
Sarnak

It works, thats all that matters imho. Not an easy task. Kind of similar to what I did.

Last edited by phasepuma; 08-31-2005 at 09:56 PM..
Old 08-31-2005, 01:06 PM
mrkcmty3
Sarnak

hmmm thanks, shame now my cable modem is having issues though lol. Usin dial up... Still i'll test it with minilogin, as thats all i use anyway.

Hope to see a tutorial one day for this. I'm not that good with Perl.

Last edited by mrkcmty3; 08-31-2005 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Tutorial comment
Old 09-02-2005, 07:45 AM
mrkcmty3
Sarnak

This is actually kinda tough to someone inexperinced. Does someone want to help me, and as they help me, help me make a tuturial to do this, I hope oneday every server will have ships working on it.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:46 AM
rojadruid
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkcmty3
This is actually kinda tough to someone inexperinced. Does someone want to help me, and as they help me, help me make a tuturial to do this, I hope oneday every server will have ships working on it.
I would love the ships to work as well but I can not figure it out either. Anyone have a "boats.pl" file or would such a file be able to be created?

Innoruuk Server [legit]
Server Admin.
Server Status: UP