Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Furniture
Hill Giant

Default combat damage formula

Hey, I very badly would like to start work on a classic server, but I'm aware from reading various old posts that the current combat damage formula only works right at higher levels, as the high end raids were what was used to test the formulas. This makes it so the mid to low end game players without insane gear takes much more damage than they should if they have good gear, as AC has less of an effect so the AC values so only the high end gear really has an impact on the damage you take.

I understand that there is no catch all formula code that was written to account for all levels, but I'm trying to figure out how I can modify my code to work more realistically for older content. If anyone has any ideas on a quick fix (can be sloppy) that i can do to my code to make AC work better it would be much appreciated
Old 10-27-2012, 05:51 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Make your server. Test it with the level and gear you expect people to have. If it isn't suitable, come back with some specific data of what you observed and what you would like to have happen, and maybe you will get some help.

Right now you're basing your assumption on old posts and anecdotal evidence. It might be just fine, but the only way you will know if that is true or not is to do your own testing.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
Hey, I very badly would like to start work on a classic server, but I'm aware from reading various old posts that the current combat damage formula only works right at higher levels, as the high end raids were what was used to test the formulas. This makes it so the mid to low end game players without insane gear takes much more damage than they should if they have good gear, as AC has less of an effect so the AC values so only the high end gear really has an impact on the damage you take.

I understand that there is no catch all formula code that was written to account for all levels, but I'm trying to figure out how I can modify my code to work more realistically for older content. If anyone has any ideas on a quick fix (can be sloppy) that i can do to my code to make AC work better it would be much appreciated