Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bug Reports

Development::Bug Reports Post detailed bug reports and what you would like to see next in the emu here.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

Question Help with Resist

So I updated 1129 to current Revision and I have most of the mobs on my server at 0 or 10 resist to all resist, but with the new source code, people saying some bosses are immune to spells. Any help? Maybe rule_values?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:58 PM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

How important are these? What values should they be? What are the min/max values? How are they used? Sorry for the questions, trying to tweak here

Spells:AutoResistDiff
Spells:PartialHitChance
Spells:ResistChance
Spells:ResistMod
Spells:ResistPerLevelDiff
Spells:TranslocateTimeLimit
Old 02-20-2009, 02:01 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

yes I also would like to see in DETAIL explanation of resist formulas based on stat and level for both players and mobs.
I can't realy desing mobs or items wihout understanding what effect numbers have
Old 02-21-2009, 10:40 AM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

The current issue is that players CAN NOT cast on a red con mob. Also it seems most mobs can cast any spell onto players, even blind which should be easly resisted.

So basically, mobs now have super resist, and players appear to have 0 resist even though they have high resistances.

How do I make players resist count again? And how do I make all mobs get hit by spells? I already have all npc's in my database with a resist of 10 (not 0 incase that makes it resort to some default value).

Pls help.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 PM
KLS
Administrator

No resist things have really changed since 1129. The only rule that affects npcs and not pcs is Spells:AutoResistDiff which is the levels above the npc has to be before they resists 100% of spells which sounds like it may be set to something way too low.

I use the default rules to explain these and put them above each:

(2.0)
Spells:ResistChance is the chance to resist baseline for anyone at even level and 0 resist you will have this 2% chance to resist.

(0.7)
Spells:PartialHitChance is the chance that when we roll a resist that it's a partial hit. So the first 70% of a resist roll is a partial hit. It's still possible to get immunity to spells but it requires a large amount of resist to get past the partials. There's also Spells:PartialHitFear which affects only the spell fear in the same manner.

(85)
Spells:ResistPerLevelDiff is basically for every level over you the target is they get this many resist points / 10. So if you're casting on a target 8 levels higher it's 8*85/10 or 68 resist points from level. It works the same way for the higher person on the lower just in reverse if you're 58 casting on a 50 you cast on them as if every spell has an extra -68 resist mod.

(0.4)
Spells:ResistMod is what creates our chance to resist from our stats. Default is 0.40 which is multiplied by our resist stat. So if you have 250 resist you have 70% chance for a spell to land as a partial hit if it can or 30% chance to resist it outright, if it can't partial it's basically you're close to immune to that spell unless it has a -resist modifier or they're higher than you.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:20 PM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

Thanks so much! This is the info I was desperately looking for!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:08 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

KLS, 2 questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
(2.0)
Spells:ResistChance is the chance to resist baseline for anyone at even level and 0 resist you will have this 2% chance to resist.

(0.4)
Spells:ResistMod is what creates our chance to resist from our stats. Default is 0.40 which is multiplied by our resist stat. So if you have 250 resist you have 70% chance for a spell to land as a partial hit if it can or 30% chance to resist it outright, if it can't partial it's basically you're close to immune to that spell unless it has a -resist modifier or they're higher than you.
does Spells:ResistChance added to the total resist calculated from ResistMod or does it complitly independant and ONLy activates if you have 0 resist gear?

and I am reading this corectly: 0.4*250 resist =100% chance
does this mean resist above 250 useless? If I have 400 resist: 04.*400=160% - what does this calculates into? (not taking into account spells with -resist modifier)
Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 PM
KLS
Administrator

It's base resist, you always get it, I only used the even level and 0 resist to illustrate.

Resist above 250 is far from useless there are mitigating factors. If the enemy is higher level than you, if they're using a spell that can partial, if they're using a spell with a -resist mod it all provides benefits.

If the value going into the calculation is 250 after all mitigating factors then you have 100% chance to roll a less than 100. Which means everything is either a partial or total resist.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:20 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

ok give me a numeric example layout please

let say I have 400 resists
mob is EVEN con
he uses a generic spell with NO -resist modifier.

400*0.4=160%? how does this splits betwin 70/30 partial/full thingy?

and how this is MORE beneficial that 250 resist under same conditions?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:34 PM
KLS
Administrator

-We have a resist chance = acting resists * 0.4
-We have a full resist chance = resist chance * 0.3 (1 - partial hit chance)
-We do a roll 0-100

-If our roll is greater than our resist chance then we return 100 which is no resist at all.
-else:
-if our roll is less than or equal to our full chance we return 0, a full resist.
-Else
-we return 100 * (roll - full chance) / (resist chance - full chance)

So basically the 30% chance we have to fully resist is stored at the bottom of our value. So as our chance to resist overall increases the chance to fully resist a partial spell increases despite that all spells are technically being resisted in some way.

Also when we do hit a resist because the end of the partial hit is beyond the scope of our roll the ability to make higher rolls diminishes. So not only is the chance to partial reducing but also the amount we partial for is reducing.

And so for your numbers I'll do them both:

250 = 100% chance to resist
1-30 = full resist
31-100 = partial resist
Your roll is 1-100 so you have a 70% chance to partial and 30% chance to full resist and if it's a partial you can get anywhere from about 1.5-100% damage on the spell.

400 = 160% chance to resist
1-48 full resist
49-100 partial resist
Your roll is 1-100 so you have a 52% chance to partial and 48% chance to full resist and if it's a partial you can get anywhere from about 0.8-46% damage on the spell.

That's using a spell that can partial hit which is quite a few but not all of them there are plenty of binary effects out there like slows and snares.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:42 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

ok, thank you KLS, I can see now that keeps building up resist still going to be beneficial. Thats what I wanted to be sure off. The rules make much more sence now =)
Old 02-22-2009, 02:52 AM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

Thanks KLS, we appreciate your time and explaining. Makes much more sense and will help us.