Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Tools

Archive::Tools Archive area for Tools's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Default OpenZone 4.8

(whew!) This was a hell of a lot of work in the making, but here it is to enjoy:

1. In the ground editor you can right-click on a ground tile to cause it to be hidden (or right-click on it again to enable it again). Tiles that are hidden will have a red "X" drawn over them. This by itself isn't all that useful a feature, but it's necessary for what follows.

2. Added a menu option called Object...Split with ground mesh. This allows you to take dungeons made with Dungeon Builder (or conceivably any mesh you import) and integrate them with an outdoor OpenZone ground mesh. You use it by placing your dungeons such that the entrance(s) poke through the ground. Then select all of the entrance objects (using shift-click or control-click) and then click Object...Split with ground mesh. Affected ground tiles will be hidden and OpenZone will create objects in their place that look like them but have holes for the entrances (such objects will always begin with "split"). It will also try to chop off those parts of your dungeon entrances that poke above the ground so they are flush with the ground surface. If there are any leftover polygons (which generally shouldn't happen) you can use the feature below to get rid of them.

3. When in fly mode and you click on an object, if the object is a mesh that you imported (such as something from Dungeon Builder) OpenZone will also highlight the particular polygon you clicked on in green. You can delete this polygon by then clicking Edit...Delete polygon from mesh.

4. If you click on a mesh polygon you can change some of its properties by clicking Edit...Change polygon properties.

5. Added a 3D viewer to the ground editor below the mesh list so you can see the mesh object you want to place.

6. Made some fixes to the OpenGL rendering to perfect rendering of transparent objects.

7. Rendering speed was getting really slow so I reduced the far clipping plane by half and put in some optimizations to try to speed up rendering.

8. Added the texture picker popup window from Dungeon Builder and added "Choose..." buttons to many popup windows wherever there is a texture drop-down.

9. Added a View...Jump to object location menu item that, when in fly mode, will take you instantly to the first selected object.

10. In the ground options (at the right of the main window), added a "Show zonelines" option. Zonelines will be shown with transparent polygons with a slight purplish cast.

11. Zone bounds that you place in the ground editor will no longer extend below the ground if you are using an OpenZone ground mesh. This is necessary so they won't block any underground dungeons or tunnels you place.

12. When importing a .3DS file, OpenZone will look for any objects named "oz_water", "oz_lava", or "oz_pvp" (case doesn't matter). This lets you define water, lava, or PvP areas in your mesh instead of having to do it from within OpenZone. Such objects MUST be rectangular objects (e.g. cubes) that are aligned along the X, Y, and Z axes, because OpenZone will only look at their maximum and minimum X, Y, and Z values for determining their extent. For water and lava areas, OpenZone will use the first texture it sees as the texture to use (so you only have to texture one of the faces). The objects you define won't actually be created in the zone since they are really just defining volumes, but OpenZone will create top surface polygons for water or lava areas like it always does.

13. Fixed a TON of bugs.

It can be downloaded here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=34673

WC
Old 08-14-2004, 03:36 PM
killspree
Dragon

Wow, very nice!
Old 08-14-2004, 08:49 PM
KhaN
Dragon

Aww awesome ...

Old 08-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Another great program Windcatcher, I just can't figure out how to texture the Q3 Maps. Lol.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

easy in library/textures make a folder named quake3, then inside make a folder named textures inside that folder make folders named after what the textures came from in Q3(example: gothic_block).
so if i used blocks18c_3 from gothic_block you folders would be like this:
Openzone/Library/Textures/Quake3/Textures/gothic_block/(with blocks18c_3 inside of the gothic_block folder of course).
Old 08-17-2004, 04:47 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

-edit-
Nevermind, have my answer. Many thanks =)
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:28 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Someone should make a EQ3 server, with zone made with Radiant, only PVP, you can choose your arena (zone) to PVP ... can be a nice pvp niche~

Post some screenshot of textured version Cisyouc, i would love to see the result, i just hope it would not look too Quake 3 :/

Old 08-17-2004, 05:31 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Damn that'd be cool.

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 08-17-2004, 07:07 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaN
Someone should make a EQ3 server, with zone made with Radiant, only PVP, you can choose your arena (zone) to PVP ... can be a nice pvp niche~

Post some screenshot of textured version Cisyouc, i would love to see the result, i just hope it would not look too Quake 3 :/
It's still not perfect, but..

Other Screenies:
(May or may not be same Q3 Map as above, I tried 2.)

Chainlinks
Factory
Awkward Fire Texture
I had thought there would be some geometry issues...
Gah nope, just no texture.
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:33 AM
killspree
Dragon

That's pretty sweet.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:36 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Some renders are nice but those zones really look like too much Q3, hehe.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:00 AM
smogo
Discordant

Hey Wind', i'm really glad you're still putting so much good work on that stuff. It looks great

Cisyouc : nice job.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

The next version will have online help. It's a huge job, but most of the major stuff is in. 4.8 also broke dragging objects around with the mouse so I need to fix that too.

The problem with importing Quake maps is the Quake shaders. Quake maps use scripts that place overlapping levels of shaders that affect what the final output will look like. OpenZone and the EQ engine don't support anything like this so objects that use shaders tend not to look right.

WC
Old 08-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

ooh sounds interesting Wind =).

hmm like a few others ive been playing around with using Radiant to make zones my current projects are:
Ancient Temple of Sacrifice(Xabobs already seen the beta ver but i have to retexture it).
Church of The Damned(Xabob has seen the beginning of this zone).
Unknown city(just a side project i hope to start as soon as i finnish my current ones).
Arena 2.0! This zone will be a giant copy of arena with some big changes! There will be spectator seating(with an invisiable wall keeping spectators from jumping in!). I will add a doorway so that fighters may enter the arena(wich may be locked with a norent nodrop key that gms may give to the fighters before the fight).