Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bug Reports

Development::Bug Reports Post detailed bug reports and what you would like to see next in the emu here.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:54 PM
bad_captain
Developer

Default Mana Regen & Sitting Bug?

I didn't want to post this in the bugs section, because I'm not 100% sure it is a bug, and may have missed something posted that explains this issue even though I have searched the past 4 years of threads, but couldn't find it.

In parsing mana regen and looking at the code, I am not sure why standing mana regen or sitting mana regen without meditate (bards?) have the following regen calculation:

Code:
regen = 2 + spellbonuses.ManaRegen + itembonuses.ManaRegen + (clevel / 5);
For my test character, I have +13 mana regen via items, +22 by spells, and 3 AAs, for +28 mana regen total that is added to the base mana regen. In my calculations, I have 53 mana regen standing, and 60 sitting, with a skill of 252 in meditate. I have put some debugging stuff in for work I'm doing on bots (and is how I found this), and I gain +22 mana regen from meditating.

So my math seems bad, because I should gain 22 mana regen from meditating, but only see an actual gain of 7 from sitting, so where's the difference?
Code:
+ (clevel / 5)
Why is this added to the mana regen calculation? Everything I have seen states that base mana regen standing is between 1-4 (eqclerics.com, magecompendium.com, magelo.com)

magecompendium post 2004
Quote:
Maximum Mana Regeneration

Maximum long-term Mana Regeneration is achieved on horseback when:

* Level is 65 (1 mana/tic while on horseback)
* Meditate is capped at 252 (21 mana/tic when meditating)
* Worn Mana Regeneration is 15 (15 mana/tic)
* Mental Clarity 3 is purchased (3 mana/tic)
* The magician has the following player buffs: Voice of Quellious, Xegony's Phantasmal Guard or Blessing of the Nine, Spiritual Dominion, Chorus of Marr, Elemental Siphon (61 mana/tic)
* The Magician has the following item buffs: Maelin's Methodical Mind, Shield of Auras (10 mana/tic)

Total (Sitting): 112 mana/tic

Additionally, if one swaps a horse with Water Elemental Form 3, an additional 4 mana/tic is on top of this while sitting.

Mod Rods, when they cost 0 mana to summon, add another 7.2 mana/tic on top of this, if used constantly.

Standing, at level 65, your standing bonus is three instead of one, but you lose meditation.

With Water Elemental Form 3 while standing, the maximum mana regeneration is 85 mana/tic
eqclerics post 2008
Quote:
I was always told that your base sitting (non-ooc medding) mana regen is:
(Med skill / 10) + 1
while standing is:

Looking at my magelo accounts, it seems to be more like:
meding = floor(med skill/10)
standing = 1

Anyhow, if magelo is at least close to being correct, with a maxed meditate skill at level 80 (of 425) you should expect a base of around 40-43 mana per tick on a horse as opposed to 1 if you are standing.

eqclerics post 2008
Quote:
31 mana with yaulp X rk.ii + 1 mana while standing
versus
45 mana (with meditation skill 450) from sitting + 1

Also, I have a magelo account where I keep this character (as well as a couple of my bots) so I can see how equipment should affect my stats, etc. This is what is shows:

Code:
   	  Base  	            Item / Cap  	Total
            Stand 	Sit 	                        Stand 	      Sit
HP+ 	       10 	13 	3 / 35 	                 13 	       16
MANA+ 	       4 	28 	13 / 15 	         17 	       41
ENDR+ 	       0 	0 	0 / 40 	                 0 	       0

This shows I should be gaining 24 from meditating (close to the 22 EqEmu says), and that my standing mana regen with items should be ~17, or ~39 after spells (14 KEI and 8 from Xegony's Phantasmal Guard), not the 53 it currently is.

I realize this may not be a good change for caster classes, but as it is, it doesn't seem like sitting and medding is as necessary as it was on live (at least if OOCRegen is not enabled).
Old 11-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

I'm all about the nerfs and this seems plain wrong so I would support the movement to have the level mod removed from non-meditating mana regen. However, will let a more senior dev take the hit on this commit.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:23 PM
bad_captain
Developer

To go one step further with the second post from eqclerics, at 65, a cleric would actually gain more mana standing and casting yaulp VI for the extra 12 mana/tic for a net gain of ~5 mana/tic over sitting (minus casting cost of 10) with the current code..

From allakhazam.com posted 2004
Quote:
At level 65, you have an innate regeneration of 1 per tick standing, 20 per tick sitting - meditate adds 19 while sitting or on a horse.
Quote:
That assumes a cleric would be stupid enough to melee from horseback.

Dispell the horse, Yaulp, and melee, and you only lose a NET of 7 mana regen.
Quote:
You see, since you cannot yaulp on the horse, you get ONLY your standing regen, of 1 per tic, meleeing on the horse. That is, as the original poster points out, a loss of 19 per tic, for the not so massive cleric DPS. Dispell the horse, yaulp, and net loss of mana is SEVEN per tic, rather than 19.