Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:23 PM
eqwarrior
Sarnak

Post Guide to install Debian Linux and EQEMu

I reinstalled Debian Linux today and the EQEMu (EZ) Server today and decided to update the install guide that I had worked on from my previous install. Some of the text in the guide is copy and paste from other peoples guides. The guide is put in a way that is very easy to understand, and you don't have to zig zag throughout the guide, just read it in order as your installing, one baby step at a time. Added updated info such as loading spells into the database, and how to download source, database, and quest. Hopefully it'll help others attempting to do this for the first time, as I've already spent 100s of hours on google and eqemulator.net searching for answers on everything. The guide is about 20 pages long, and zipped up both doc and pdf formats.

http://www.box.net/shared/e5mby06ts9
Old 07-19-2009, 02:22 AM
trevius
Developer

Nice guide there, Hunter. You are always welcome to do updates to the wiki page for it here if you want. Most of that stuff in the wiki page for the Debian install was from AndMetal and myself, but it could definitely use some updates to reflect changes since we wrote it. I know there are a couple steps that aren't needed anymore and some new ones that are. Anyone can sign up for a wiki account and it is pretty easy to get the hang of doing edits in it. Though, I really wish we would get rid of this wakka wiki and replace it with mediawiki (what wikipedia uses), since it is much easier to use and looks cleaner IMO.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:11 AM
eqwarrior
Sarnak

Thanks for the feed back. I didn't know I could make a wiki. Maybe I'll try that. As you said, some steps are not needed in the old guides anymore, and there are some new steps required too (like spells importing, etc).

-Hunter
Old 07-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Roguish
Fire Beetle

Default Ubuntu 8.10

Problem:
When it comes to page 8 -- "Edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf"
you get the message
Code:
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Reason:

I am working on the local host rather than doing a net install.

Solution:
Code:
export DISPLAY=:0.0
xhost +LOCAL:
Note: I'm using Ubuntu 8.10
Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Roguish
Fire Beetle

Default Ubuntu 8.10 MySQL Server

Problem:
Between pages 8 and 9 where the server is reset and then directed to create a MySQL account typing "mysql -u root" returns "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock"

Reason:

MySQL server is not running

Solutions:
Code:
sudo mysqld
Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 AM
eqwarrior
Sarnak

Feel free to take the guide, rip it apart, and make a version of it for Ubuntu 8.10. The guide works 100% for Debian, and I am currently unfamiliar with other versions of Linux. Any edits, additions, feedback much welcome
Old 07-26-2009, 03:54 AM
Roguish
Fire Beetle

Ubuntu is built on top of Debian, it should work 100%. I'm just making sure before I say that for sure.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 AM
Roguish
Fire Beetle

Angry Source?

Any ideas?? I'm a Linux Newb... I've never compiled anything but .NET before and that was for MQ2.

I'm on code.google and I see nothing labeled 0.7.0. There is a 'Featured Server' tag on Revision774 Win32 but that's definitely not the source I'm seeking.

I also downloaded the source files through
Code:
svn checkout http://projecteqemu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk --username <my username>
which appears to be the right thing but...

When I go into /source/EQEmuServer/common and use the "make" command it returns
Code:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
When I use
Code:
make buildfile
it returns
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/crt1.o: In function `_start': (.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [buildfile] Error 1
Old 07-26-2009, 05:12 AM
AndMetal
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish View Post
Any ideas?? I'm a Linux Newb... I've never compiled anything but .NET before and that was for MQ2.

I'm on code.google and I see nothing labeled 0.7.0. There is a 'Featured Server' tag on Revision774 Win32 but that's definitely not the source I'm seeking.

I also downloaded the source files through
Code:
svn checkout http://projecteqemu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk --username <my username>
which appears to be the right thing but...

When I go into /source/EQEmuServer/common and use the "make" command it returns
Code:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
When I use
Code:
make buildfile
it returns
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/crt1.o: In function `_start': (.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [buildfile] Error 1
Try running make from /source/EQEmuServer instead of /source/EQEmuServer/common.

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 07-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Roguish
Fire Beetle

I was using my googlecode username. I tried using my eqemulator.net username and have many more files in the source download, makefile included. My problem is likely solved. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:31 AM
pfyon
Discordant

You can also checkout code from the google code svn anonymously (just don't put in the user information).