Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Development

Archive::Development Archive area for Development's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 02-13-2004, 06:47 AM
Hacked
Fire Beetle

Default Race / Class Locking

This might be posted in the wrong section.. if is i'm sorry

My Question is kinda simple (although the answer might be long)

I have been reading about the new Perl quest system and global flags.

Can i set global flags to each account?
If so...
Can i have the character creation screen check these flags....

Basicly... can i lock races or classes temporarily from specific users? / in general?

---------------------
what i wanna do
---------------------

I want everyone on my server to start out as a human melee...

i want them to "unlock" classes and races over time.

if i cant do it on a account basis can i do it on a server base?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2004, 08:04 AM
samandhi
Demi-God

Do you know anything about programming in C++? If so you could probably do it in there (I am so new at it that this might be totally incorrect).
Lets say for the sake of THIS case (since I dont know the name of the function(s) used during character creation), that there is a function called Character_Creation. I would imagine all you would have to do is Set each different race that you didnt want used to enabled false. For example it MIGHT look something like this with dark elves:
Code:
darkelves = FALSE;
Then, maybe write a new function that when a certain event is triggered:
<race in question> = TRUE;
Again, not TOO sure about that but it seems logical to my dumb ass <smile>. Still VERY early in the game for C++ and me. It may be WAAAY more complicated than that.
I dont know if you could just write a perl script to enable them or not, as Im not totally sure how THAT works either..

Quote:
Analysis paralysis will keep you from failing, but it will also keep you from succeeding.
  • L.L. CoolJ
Old 02-13-2004, 08:29 AM
smogo
Discordant

AFAIK, there is little control on the client Char Creation screens. The best you can do is tell the client that creation was refused (and maybe explain why, it would be nice, using the eqstr client file) to force to a valid new one.

the char is created in client.cpp (OP_CharacterCreate), in the world engine. You 'd have to tweak the code to reject classes / races, as mentionned.

To check on what is allowed, you should include a custom DB query to check the flags.

Those flags (set using quest system, as you mentionned) can only be global, or at best character specific. If you want to make it account wide, you have to check the flags for all chars the acount owner already has.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:17 PM
NarutoLegacy
Discordant

wow thats actually a great idea. <---EDIT: Wow I posted stuff like that back then?? damn.
Change Maxlevel

Kaio Kuzumaki of the East, Owner of Tides of War [Custom-Legit] PvP Server
Orome, Lord of the Woods, Middle-Earth Roleplay PvP Server
Kaio Kuzumaki of the East, Owner of Kaio's All-GM Test Server
Old 03-31-2004, 04:47 PM
killspree
Dragon

Easy way of doing it is to just set human as the default race and have the server ignore other selections and point to human instead.