Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:33 PM
Coenxai
Hill Giant

Default Zone Partitioning

Greetings,

I was talking to Yeahlight and he brought up an interesting point; Currently, we don't use any sort of zone partitioning for things such as (but not necessarily limited to) aggro checks.

Yeahlight's Thread Discussing Proposed Change

It's brilliant. My question is, "Has anyone already developed such a system for EQEmu?" I feel like this would be a massive addition to the community.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:41 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenxai View Post
Greetings,

I was talking to Yeahlight and he brought up an interesting point; Currently, we don't use any sort of zone partitioning for things such as (but not necessarily limited to) aggro checks.

Yeahlight's Thread Discussing Proposed Change

It's brilliant. My question is, "Has anyone already developed such a system for EQEmu?" I feel like this would be a massive addition to the community.
We've discussed doing this several times, but it is not an easy overhaul. We've optimized the shit out of how things operate as it is right now, so the gain to doing this would only be so much. Things used to be far more CPU intensive with exactly the illustrations mentioned in that thread, not really a huge issue right now. But yeah all modern MMO's utilize a "grid" or a "mesh" system so that the server isn't sending more than it needs to and the client isn't processing more than it needs to.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Coenxai
Hill Giant

I suppose it's a pretty big overhaul considering most servers don't usually have a lot of clients in a highly populated zone. It'd be nice for servers that have multi-group raid content. Especially when you're AE'ing down mobs that yell for help. That code is pretty bad.