Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

Default The emu source is the best adventure.

Seriously, I love mucking around in here.
I'm finally getting into how nice the quest event updates from several months ago are.

Then you find stuff like this:
Code:
    if(damage < 0)
        damage = 31337;
On the one hand, I loathe bracketless scopes, what is this python? On the other hand, finding cheesy nerd-speak in the code just accentuates the rich history you can find in there.

Many hands have contributed. They've made improvements, made mistakes, and in the midst of it all left signs of their passing. Why scour the ancient ruins of akheva in search of their poorly manufactured secrets when you can study codex of legitimate wonder.

Good work everyone, and thank you.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

hey! what's wrong with python!?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

Indented scopes took some getting used to and you have to set your editor for tabs to spaces, but ultimately, python is a really handy language.

In other languages I think it's aggravating because of the lack of consistency and I honestly don't think it does a thing for readability.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Seriously, I love mucking around in here.
I'm finally getting into how nice the quest event updates from several months ago are.

Then you find stuff like this:
Code:
    if(damage < 0)
        damage = 31337;
On the one hand, I loathe bracketless scopes, what is this python? On the other hand, finding cheesy nerd-speak in the code just accentuates the rich history you can find in there.

Many hands have contributed. They've made improvements, made mistakes, and in the midst of it all left signs of their passing. Why scour the ancient ruins of akheva in search of their poorly manufactured secrets when you can study codex of legitimate wonder.

Good work everyone, and thank you.
Must be talking about the global player.pl and global NPC scripts
Old 08-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

I had my own versions of those a long time ago, they just fired separate events and the script was playerglobal.pl instead of global_player.pl. When I went to implement those events again on a new server and discovered it was already done, I was thrilled though. I should have just posted mine, but I didn't think it was production quality and nobody seemed interested the one time I offered.

This was before all that, might have even been a year or so ago, I noticed all quest events firing through a different framework. I just finally got around to digging into it. It's really easy to add new events, or in my case modify some existing ones to carry more information.