Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:59 AM
derantum
Fire Beetle

Default No Server LIST since yesturday

Hello,

since Yesturday My Brother (lives at a other Location), another friend and me all Germany but different locations can't login anymore as we can't see the Server List.

We useing the RoF Client but also tryed our Underfoot Client none worked... took us over 1 hour to get 1 char Online....

Anyone with the same problem ? Maybe anyone know a fix for this Problem ?

Thank you in Advance

Derantum
Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I have a player saying the same thing, I think he lives in that direction. If the server you play on has their own Login Server use that for the time being.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:58 PM
derantum
Fire Beetle

we Playing on the EZOnlineServer ... well been atm we can't do anything at start it worked fine now since Yesturday i can't get in i am already trying since a hour again to get atleast 1 char online...
Old 01-16-2015, 03:06 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I would contact the admin there and see if they have a separate login server, it may not help but I would try.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:59 PM
trevius
Developer

If you have ever joined the PEQ server on any accounts (or any of your friends with the same issue have), try this:

http://www.peqtgc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10152

That will get your client pointed directly to the PEQ login server, which you can use to test if it shows servers or not. You can actually change your eqhosts.txt file to point to "Host=login.peqtgc.com:5999" and login without having a PEQ account, if you just want to test if the Login Server shows servers at all.

This is a good test to see if your issue is specifically with the EQEmu Public Login Server, or if it happens on all Login Servers. If the same issue happens on the PEQ Login Server as well, then it is most likely that you have a port issue. That means your ISP may be blocking ports required to reach the Login Servers. I think it would be specifically ports 5998 and 5999 (depending on if you are on Titanium (599 or any of the newer clients (5999)).

Another test might be to see if the Titanium client works, which uses port 5998. Though, I doubt they would specifically block just 5999 only.

What doesn't make sense is that you said it did work at least 1 time for one of your friends locally. That doesn't make much sense, as if a port is being blocked, it will fail 100% of the time, not 99%.

Another possibility could be congestion on the network to reach the US, but you seem to be getting to these forums fine, which means you can reach this destination without too much packet loss.

It is very possible that this issue will resolve on its own within a couple of days. If the local ISP is having major problems affecting multiple customers, they should be well aware and should be working hard to resolve it ASAP. Though, it never hurts to call them for support assistance and inquiries.

There could be several issues from the ISP that could cause issues like this. One might be if they are having problems with route reflectors, which they should be able to resolve fairly quickly. Another might be if their DNS servers are having issues. If that is the case, you might be able to clear the problem yourself by opening a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /flushdns". That may force updates that would otherwise take a while to get. You might also try manually changing your DNS settings on your router or PC to point to a public DNS server that is known to be reliable such as 8.8.8.8 (google).

If none of the above helps, you will probably just have to keep working with your ISP to identify the issue and get it resolved.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
packet loss.
I am leaning toward packet loss. I was in a crappy Holiday Inn the other day and I would occasionally get a blank login screen or it would time out. Strangely enough if I could get to the login, I could eventually get to my server. The login server definitely did not like the slower connection.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:06 AM
derantum
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
I am leaning toward packet loss. I was in a crappy Holiday Inn the other day and I would occasionally get a blank login screen or it would time out. Strangely enough if I could get to the login, I could eventually get to my server. The login server definitely did not like the slower connection.

hmm that might explain my Problem as my Internet Connection is really bad it's called DSL 2000 RAM really SLOW, but my brother got a 5mb connection and my other mate got a 12mb connection.... so thair Connection must be Perfect...

Right now i logged in without any issues in the Germany Morning times problems seems to be only there in the evenings!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:42 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Oh, yeah that sounds really bad.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:26 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by derantum View Post
Right now i logged in without any issues in the Germany Morning times problems seems to be only there in the evenings!
If you have the issue only during peak times of the day, that implies your problem is related to network congestion. That means too many people are trying to use the same network you are using and there is not enough bandwidth available. That will cause packet loss and/or high latency when connecting to anything over the congested connection. If people in your area that are on different networks have the same problems, it means they most likely share a common path somewhere. If you can reach sites and stuff in Germany without issues, then your local connection may not be the problem. More likely, the ISPs share the same connectivity to get to the USA and it may be that this is the connection that is congested. As that would impact a large number of customers, it is probably something the ISPs are well aware of and should be working to resolve ASAP. If it was working fine and this suddenly started out of nowhere, it is very likely that a major circuit is down and causing more traffic than normal to all go over a path that was not designed to handle that much traffic by itself.

For non-networkers, picture that there are 2 big highways that go between Germany and the USA. With both of those highways available, cars can get to the USA without getting slowed down from too much traffic. Now, imagine if 1 of those highways was shut down so they could repair the road. Suddenly, all of the cars are trying to take the same road and the traffic is terrible. Once they fix the other highway, everything should return to normal.

Of course, that is just my best guess based on the info I have so far.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:41 AM
Veloce
Fire Beetle

same issues, from a thread about tethering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce View Post
same situation, I had another thread going about this as well:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39045

I tether from T-mobile, not unlimited plan but I've never even come close to maxing it.

^^^ I seriously think this is most likely the case, I was having no issues before November 2014, eqemu must've done something because out of freaking no where I have massive connection issues. T-mobile didn't change a thing, I called them as well.

Before Nov 2014 I could connect/disconnect whenever at all hours of the day with no issues. After Nov 2014 if I try and connect after 4-5pm PST it takes me a good 10-15 minutes of blank server select screens with the occasional "out of date spells" character screen.

Please Dev's, whatever you did please undo it so we can play the game again!