Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:48 PM
minic
Fire Beetle

Default Few questions.

Hi all, first post here... I just have a few simple questions about this project and compatible databases. First of all I have never even played EQ but I am quite interested in giving it a go (so please excuse my nubbery on the topic).

I'm aware this project is quite mature. So I assume it is pretty close to the original as possible. Basically I was just wondering how complete it is? I don't mean to step on any of the dev's toe's because I know it's not an easy task to accomplish by any means.

Also what about database? Is pretty much everything implemented?

Reason being is I'm looking for a good game and server to run for a few buddies of mine. I've gone through many games and many not-so-good servers. It really hinders game play if many things are broken (I don't mind bugs here and there). Although when key components aren't implemented properly it becomes game breaking and we lose interest.

If you know of anything I should be aware of before taking on this project I would very much appreciate knowing ahead of time.

I really don't mean to bash anyone by this post so please excuse me. I'm mainly just curious about how playable it is. I know A LOT of work goes into reverse engineering and developing a server daemon. Let alone a complete DB.

Thanks in advance for taking your time to give me a little heads-up. <3
Old 05-31-2007, 12:28 AM
mattmeck

Were no where near complete, a lot is lacking, spawns up to POP, most AA's don't work, a lot not implemented.

That said, EQEmu is extreamly playable, only thing you can do is try it out.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Chayes
Fire Beetle

I felt it appropriate to post in this thread as I too am new, and by that, naturally filled with questions you have all undoubtedly answered hundreds of times before. Rejoice!

To begin, when I stumbled across this project I nearly jumped from my seat in blissful excitement; this is exactly what I've been dreaming of, and I am so happy to see it alive and real. Expect a donation forthcoming. You guys are fantastic.

My question to Mattmeck is this: what do you mean by "spawns up to pop"?

And I have this vision of my own private lan server running the first three, and only the first three expansions -- is this possible?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 AM
minic
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck
Were no where near complete, a lot is lacking, spawns up to POP, most AA's don't work, a lot not implemented.

That said, EQEmu is extreamly playable, only thing you can do is try it out.
Extremely playable is what I like to hear!

When you mentioned AA's I had to Google up what it was as I'm new to EQ. Alternate Advancement not working properly doesn't seem like it would be very game breaking in anyway. As long as some form of character advancement works that's fine with me. AA seems like it is quite a dynamic system and I imagine would take quite some time and effort to implement, so no worries I understand why.

As far as spawn goes, when you say POP you mean the Planes of Power expansion correct? So everything before that is pretty much implemented? I'm not all too worried about any expansions yet so that's no problem.

All in all this project seems very nice and I will be giving it a go for sure.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to answer my questions. It is very much appreciated.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by minic
As far as spawn goes, when you say POP you mean the Planes of Power expansion correct? So everything before that is pretty much implemented? I'm not all too worried about any expansions yet so that's no problem.
Yup, up to PoP is done/being improved. The people at projecteq work very hard on a live-like database.

I think they currently have a Luclin release going on, there's also a few other 'play' servers with their own custom databases. Of course, if that doesn't appeal to you, you can make your own. The sky's the limit here, you just gotta know some basic knowledge on how it works.

Great to see some people enthusiastic about the project.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 AM
soulshot
Hill Giant

Very cool game for you and a few friends to play over lan. It almost seems easier to set up a live server, then your friends that like EQ alot can play on your server with you from thier house! If you are looking for a classic only database search around for Angelox's database I hear its nice. As far as being the most up to date/tested/stable go with the PEQ database. Also with either databases you can add your own custom content, edit items etc. Its alot of fun.

Black Dragons Server
Old 05-31-2007, 01:15 PM
minic
Fire Beetle

Thanks a lot for all the info! This helps me out a ton knowning that I'm getting myself into something good. Instead of having high hopes and being let down, like in the past with other games and servers.

I think I'm going to be giving PEQ DB a go for our first try. Up to date, tested, and stable is exactly what I'm looking for. Also I do plan on making the server accessible via the Internet and not just LAN only. But I do plan on keeping it rather limited as far as player cap goes since it will be hosted from a spare PC on my home broadband connection.

Speaking of that, I was also wondering about how much bandwidth usage does EQEmu consume on a per-player basis. I know it varies very much depending on if players are interacting with each other or not etc. But does anyone have an estimate of KB/sec per-player with say 5 people interacting with each other?

Once again thanks a lot guys, you all are so great. I can't wait to get this up and running. One of my friend's here sends his thanks also.

Take care for now guy's. I've got a server to setup.

Last edited by minic; 05-31-2007 at 09:33 PM..
Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Speaking of that, I was also wondering about how much bandwidth usage does EQEmu consume on a per-player basis. I know it varies very much depending on if players are interacting with each other or not etc. But does anyone have an estimate of KB/sec per-player with say 5 people interacting with each other?
I'd say the limit is 4-5kb/sec per player. Just about.

They won't be constantly sending packets, just position update ones and talking, damage, etc. They are relatively small.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:57 PM
minic
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets
I'd say the limit is 4-5kb/sec per player. Just about.

They won't be constantly sending packets, just position update ones and talking, damage, etc. They are relatively small.
Ah I see, I figured it would be pretty low considering many people still have dial-up. So I'm looking at about 30 KB/sec max with 5 people. Thats not bad at all... I'll still have plenty of upstream to spare. Thanks a lot man!

On a side note, I was reading the server setup guide. I already have MySQL installed and configured on my server, but I do not use the InnoDB storage engine. I'm currently using MyISAM. Will that cause me problems down the road? Or should I just go ahead and export my current databases, switch to InnoDB and import my old DB's? That seems like my best bet, as I don't believe using InnoDB will break any of my other projects.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

4-5k/s still seems high, less some of the devs fucked up some code, which wouldn't surprise me. There used to be packet compression, as well as combined packets. Which would bring it down to 2-4k/s. I haven't looked at the emu code in a long time tho. We had 100+ on a 1mb line.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 05-31-2007, 04:49 PM
minic
Fire Beetle

Sorry for posting another reply but I was unable to find the edit button lol. I manually went to editpost.php along with my postid and found out that you can only edit a post within 60 minutes of posting it. No harm done.

Anyway happy to say I got the server setup for the most part. I just need a few files from the EQ:Titanium client, which I will be purchasing tomorrow. Thanks so much guys, getting the server setup was very painless. Although I have no way to test it at the moment I'm sure it will work fine.

Once I get the game tomorrow I will play on this sites server from time to time, would be nice to meet you guys in game sometime so you could show me the ropes before I bring my friends into it. I'm not new to MMORPG's by any means. So I understand the all the "terms" if you will. DPS, CC, Aggro, etc etc.

Once again I want to give my thanks to everyone who has contributed to this project. I'm sure once I get my buddies into it we will scrape together some cash and donate for sure. So excited, can't wait to get the game tomorrow!

If you want to meet up in game PM me and maybe we could meet on IRC and work something out. I would really enjoy it.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

EDIT: Haha seems devn00b and I posted two minutes apart, looks like I found the edit button! Less bandwidth the better, although I'm sure it really varies depending on what is going on in game. Anyway thanks for the reply, guess I'll just have to see for myself sometime this weekend.

Last edited by minic; 06-01-2007 at 12:55 AM..
Old 05-31-2007, 05:35 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Geez dev, so much animosity towards others. To each's own so Im not going to start a flame war, as everyone has there opinons.

As far as the project goes overall, it is amazingly, suprisingly good now. There are several things that are missing, but it doesnt take down the expirence that much, especially if your new to EQ anyhow, since you cant relate to what is there and not there.

There are tons of zones that have been populated to LIVE accuracy all the way up to part of the Planes of Power Expansion as suggested. This leaves tons of zones not ready for use, but if you take your time and play right, there can be months of new content you will see just with what is already there. Quest work and most have been implented so its not just a bash and loot game.

As far as bugs go, you will meet them from time to time. Most being minor things that can be fixed or not fixed. Major things like current connection issues, AA's, stability and stuff can be fixed, but there is no ETA as to when this will happen. Some stuff hasnt been implemented and some stuff wont be implmented. Its not a 100% substitue to the real thing so you get what you pay for.

If you and your friends are new to the game it will be a blast for you, as it was for the majority of us when we first picked of EQ back in the days of the original release. It wears off with time, but it takes alot to get you bored of it, and even then, you just cant get it out of your system for years to come.

Hope things go smoothly for you and you and your friends have a blast with this. Its always good to get new members in with intrest to the project.

As far as setting up a server this weekend, there are multiple guides for you to use and as a personal favorite, I would suggest mine if your a visual person as it is equiped with screenshots and how tos for making a server for the PublicLogin or the Minilogin(Lan Only). Gotten lots of good feedback on it so I hope and thinks its worth it. Follow the link in my sig and then the first instructions on the wiki page on how to download and view. (There is a error on page 12 I belive where a screenshot overlaps some text. Havent confirmed this but if its true it should be fixed in no time.)
Old 05-31-2007, 11:19 PM
mattmeck

Quote:
Once I get the game tomorrow I will play on this sites server from time to time, would be nice to meet you guys in game sometime so you could show me the ropes before I bring my friends into it. I'm not new to MMORPG's by any means. So I understand the all the "terms" if you will. DPS, CC, Aggro, etc etc.

Glad ya got it setup, and even figured out you need titanium!! Im impressed.

A not on the quote above, EQEmu does not have a server, we just supply the stuff needed for others to run them.

You will find a lot of servers, some very well done and high population, and a whole lot of weekend warriors that will be gone before you can blink.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:58 AM
minic
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck
Glad ya got it setup, and even figured out you need titanium!! Im impressed.

A not on the quote above, EQEmu does not have a server, we just supply the stuff needed for others to run them.

You will find a lot of servers, some very well done and high population, and a whole lot of weekend warriors that will be gone before you can blink.
Ah I see, I guess the news on the main page mislead me a bit, all the talk of a new server got me thinking you guys run a EQEmu server. It's all good, my mistake. I can see why you choose not to, you've done enough already.

Installing EQ right now!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:47 PM
mattmeck

New server for the forums, login server, etc etc etc. =) guess it is a bit misleading.