Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Bugs

Archive::Bugs Archive area for Bugs's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-05-2004, 03:37 PM
sianyde
Sarnak

Default Zone.exe problems

Lately, I've noticed some odd behavior with zone.exe on my system. I'm using DR6, with the correct patch situation. I'm using the 7/25 cvs release, with perl compiled, but no modifications to the code.

I 4-box with MQ and WinEQ on one machine, and two box and run world and zone on another.

Occasionally, when I #zone, to N Karana, for example, the zone server will load the zone, but the client won't enter. That instance of zone's title bar will read 9997:northkarana 0 clients (let's assuming this is zoneserver #4). The zone I've left drops the client.

At this point, the client hangs, and that instance of WinEQ must be killed. However, the instance of N Karana with 0 clients remains. Then, world starts another instance of zone (a 6th). This zone is sleeping, but has the same port number as the zone with 0 clients. It also has another zoneserver number (6). World reports that it is restarting a lost zone server. The clients will report Zone Connect: N Karana.

Once this happens, it is not possible to #zonebootup with either zoneserver using that port #. Any clients zoning into that hung zone also hang.

Has anyone seen this situation, or has a workaround or an idea where to start looking?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:44 PM
sotonin
Demi-God

Yes i do beleive i've noticed this on the very same build you use. We of course use linux, so i didn't notice the multiple zones benig loaded with same port. (i dont know linux well enough to be able to see this eheh)

But i have the same problem. hanging while zoning. and it happening all the time for anybody zoning in (for particular zones) until a reboot.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:27 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonin
Yes i do beleive i've noticed this on the very same build you use. We of course use linux, so i didn't notice the multiple zones benig loaded with same port. (i dont know linux well enough to be able to see this eheh)

But i have the same problem. hanging while zoning. and it happening all the time for anybody zoning in (for particular zones) until a reboot.
Ditto. This is happening to me too.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:14 AM
sianyde
Sarnak

Quote:
We of course use linux
Well ain't you just a l33t fux0r
Quote:
Do you have a workaround? Eventually, all the zones become unusable. I could, of course, manually edit boot5zones with different ports, and just make 5 more good ones. But that wastes all kinds of resources, b/c zone keeps respawning the bad zones when I kill them. Is there a setting to not to automagically respawn killed zones?
Incidentally, I don't recall this happening until I put a bard in the rotation with a twisting macro. I don't know if this could be conincidence or not.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:59 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Quote:
Wtf... no need for that. I was just saying that we use linux and i dont know enough about it to monitor zones and what ports they are using.

No workaround so far... It's only really affected our static zones usually, as far as i can tell. and usually only the high grid zones. (zones witha lot of pathing)
Old 08-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
No workaround so far... It's only really affected our static zones usually, as far as i can tell. and usually only the high grid zones. (zones witha lot of pathing)
Mmm, No that pattern hasn't affected my server anyway. It appears to be random.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:00 PM
sianyde
Sarnak

Quote:
Quote:
Wtf... no need for that.
Wasn't meant like that...
Quote:
I've noticed this as well... didn't experience this in crush, but in E and N Karana, it's worse. It happens for my dynamic zones as well.