Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Database/World Building

Archive::Database/World Building Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-24-2004, 06:56 AM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

Default Can't get npc's to stay in zones

I followed the thread in the tutorial section of this site. I am trying to basically make custom mobs that respawn after a normal amount of time when killed. According to that thread you would basically:

#spawn Mob_name (and of course the numbers after that)
#npcspawn create
#npcspawn add

I did all this, and if I kill them they never come back, and if I #repop they never come back either. It says they was added to the database?

Also how do you change the actual look of a mob. For instance the default male froglok skin is that light green. I want to make a npc with the blue skin, how is that done? I have the guidebook, and have honestly been reading through the forums, but have not found alot of newbie friendly info on this.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:01 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
I did all this, and if I kill them they never come back, and if I #repop they never come back either. It says they was added to the database?
Need to reboot the server to see them spawn like there sopose to.

Quote:
Also how do you change the actual look of a mob. For instance the default male froglok skin is that light green. I want to make a npc with the blue skin, how is that done? I have the guidebook, and have honestly been reading through the forums, but have not found alot of newbie friendly info on this.
Thats done through the texture #.....
Old 07-24-2004, 07:32 AM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

I shut down the server completely after adding several npc's and going through the npcspawn create then add. I then exited out of the emulator normally, closed down world.exe and all the zone.exe windows. Waited about 4 or 5 minutes and started it back up. Went into the game and nothing is there. I noticed when I typed #repop that a endless string of error loading npc from database messages was on the zone.exe window.

Also when I use the #texture command it always turns the npc into a human male.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:00 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

I don't think the #npcspawn command was intended to use NPC's manually created with #spawn. Instead, it wants you to use #dbspawn to spawn an already-created NPC, then use #npcspawn to manage the spawn data.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:17 AM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

So basically I have to create the NPC's somehow outside of the emu into a database, then I can go into the game and spawn them whereever I want them at?

Well that just brings up another question, how do I get started doing that then?
Old 07-24-2004, 08:58 AM
animepimp
Dragon

Theres other commands to add an NPC type to the DB in the game. Since you own the server you should have access to all of them. Do #help spawn and #help NPC type in the game to see all the relevant ones.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Dave987
Discordant

As for your texture problem, just make a basic human spawn, then #texture 1 , #texture 2 , #texture 3 him . ...

If you see a generic human when you #texture a mob, then try a different texture number. This means that that texture doesn't exist.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:21 AM
animepimp
Dragon

Also some textures and races work with one sex but not another. So try changing their sex also to 0(M), 1(F), or 2 (neither).
Old 07-24-2004, 09:57 AM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by animepimp
Theres other commands to add an NPC type to the DB in the game. Since you own the server you should have access to all of them. Do #help spawn and #help NPC type in the game to see all the relevant ones.
I looked through them and the only ones I seen was the npcspawn create and npcspawn add. According to the sticky in this forum that is the way to do it. I seen something about spawning a npc from the database, but there is no way to tell where in the database the mobs I created are (if they are even there at all).
Old 07-24-2004, 11:32 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Someone recently implemented an #npc command to help edit the npc_types database table from in-game, but I don't know if that command's made it into the CVS or not.

If it hasn't, then check out the table called `npc_types`. You can see what fields are there by giving the command at a MySQL prompt:
describe npc_types;

The fields are for the most part self explanatory.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Draupner
Hill Giant

Rangerdown, #npcedit will be in next update on cvs.biosprite.net
Old 07-24-2004, 11:47 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Thanks for the update Draupner!
Old 07-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Hey , if you are using the 5.7 DR6 server I have found that after you do #spawn (name) (race) (level) (material) (HP) (gender) (class) (pri-weapon) (sec-weapon) (merchant ID) and then taerget the newly created mob and JUST USE " #NPCspawn create " and DO NOT use #add then they will always work right , if you use #add also then you are making two of the same mob and they will never show up , Also if you are trying to fill a zone and want to use the same named NPC's like " A Pirate " then make sure to name them consecutivly , like A_Pirate00, A_Pirate01, A_Pirate02 , the database can not handle the same named mobs in the same zone , I have made many mobs and all works great, I hope this works for you .

Sakrateri,
ServerOp, Fates Destiny
Old 07-26-2004, 02:13 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Quote:
Also if you are trying to fill a zone and want to use the same named NPC's like " A Pirate " then make sure to name them consecutivly , like A_Pirate00, A_Pirate01, A_Pirate02 , the database can not handle the same named mobs in the same zone
I don't know about everybody else, but when i create same named mobs the server always adds the 00, 01, 02 on the end automatically. I never add numbers myself and it always works.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:06 AM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

yeah thats how I handled guards on the aftermath server, i didn't add 01 or 02 the server would add it automaticaly I had about 20 guards with the same name just diff races and classes.