Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::General Support

Archive::General Support Archive area for General Support's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:01 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

Default Editing Class / Race combos...troll monks, ogre bards, etc

I'm wondering what the process is (if it can be done) for making it so certain races can be classes they normally couldn't be in eq (such as a Human Shaman, Gnome Monk, Iksar Ranger, Troll Bard, etc.). On a related note, is it possible to remove classes from a race's list? For example no iksar necros, dark elf clerics, human bards, etc. And with this enabled, if I remove all classes theoretically no PC's could use that race?

Is this possible without doing a ton of editing? Is there a simple way to go about editing things like this or is it hard coded into the engine? I would think it was controlled by the database, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, just looking for little ideas for server customizing when I make mine. Thanks for your time!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:17 AM
animepimp
Dragon

I believe that it is not really possible to add extra classes to a race beyond what they would normally have because all of the character creation is done client side and then submitted to the server. The server then runs a verification of the submitted character. You can take classes off the list by denying them during the verification step but they will show as legal to the user until they finish the character and get an error message.

So there really is no way to do it server side however if you can find a config file or something in the EQ directory that controls this you can distribute a changed version to your players, like some servers do for custom spells. Even if there is no config file for it it is theoretically possible to use a hex editor to turn them on in the exe file since they are simply true or false values. But you would have to be experienced at this to be able to do it.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:21 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

...and that goes back to:

"Is this possible without doing a ton of editing? Is there a simple way to go about editing things like this or is it hard coded into the engine? "

That would be sweet if it's an easy thing to do... I have a feeling it's not though. But like WR has custom spells, I thought it may be possible to have custom race/class combos....

Troll Enchanter..... cmon! It would be sweet and you know it!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:29 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

Default HELP!

Without knowing any better...I'm going to disagree. I believe this is done server side and is sent to the client during creation. Hence why certain classes don't show up unless you have expansions enabled. Wouldn't it have to communicate with the server to see if they were enabled? I would think that this meant that the server ultimately has the ability to rule out or include certain race/class combos.

Can a DEV or another coder confirm/deny this to be a fact? Either way...I would liek to know how to do this if anyone has successfully accomplished this feat. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2004, 05:31 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

In addition (while having theoretical discussions with old EQ buddies of mine) I think that some classes may have problems with class specific gear made only for certain races...buyt that wouldn't be TOO big a problem. On the other hand, certain things like monk dmg/dly (differences between human and iksar) would be tough to change...as would what pet was summoned for non legit beastlords. Or maybe it wouldn't be hard to change.

I found a few topics related to this but no clear answers on it. I guess what I'm REALLY looking for is someone who has attempted it who can give me info on what they found out. Thanks thanks thanks.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:30 AM
SBellew
Fire Beetle

I would think that your biggest problem would be with the charater animations. ie. Vah Shir do not have the animation for shooting a bow(not a fact, just a guess). Hope that makes sense. I do think that it would be cool to be a Gnome Monk though. =p
Old 02-26-2004, 01:04 PM
RexChaos
Dragon

Vah Shir do in fact have the animations for bows, but yes....no gnome monks...cuz gnomes got no flying kick...
Old 02-27-2004, 03:25 AM
Slappywhite
Fire Beetle

Um, if animation is missing for different classes what happens if an iksar monk uses a gnome illusion potion?
Old 02-27-2004, 04:49 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

You may be correct. I believe that since they went with a skeletal animation system (I think) with the luclin models it would actually work okay. Not sure about the old models though. Perhaps the animation just wouldn't show on the old models?

So this means that ogres and trolls could be playing some sweet sweet music as bards...

This is past the point of this thread though. This thread is a "Can it be done?" and a "How can you do it?" thread. We'll worry about animations when we come to that road.

It appears the only way I've found to do this is to have people make characters by their class/deity and then in game change them over with the #permarace command. This should work fine. I'm sure there may be some faction work to be done before you could actually go and train anywhere though if you made like a troll ranger for instance, so it would be a difficult task, but fun at the same time.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:46 AM
eq
Sarnak

Default Slappy !

Slappy , Where do u Live in Austin!? I Live in Austin TX also
Old 02-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Slappywhite
Fire Beetle

In hyde park, next to the Golf course. you?
Old 02-28-2004, 08:57 PM
badk0re
Fire Beetle

I will see what I can do tommorow, I ran accross some code for it a while back when trying to fix a few bugs so I will modify it and let you know what turns out.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:37 PM
RexChaos
Dragon

Sweet! Thanks man
Old 02-29-2004, 03:50 PM
SBellew
Fire Beetle

I did a Gnome Monk with the #permarace command. Just started a Human Monk and then changed to a Gnome. Worked like a charm. I only use the old models so some of the graphics did not show correct.

BTW, if you change the race, it does it in real time. If you change the class, it boots you to character select screen and it should show your new class and be ready to log back in.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:21 AM
SuperSushiRace
Fire Beetle

nice command