Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Ayala
Fire Beetle

Default Just Curious...

Any other bookworms out there? I know, I'm a major geek. Anyways, I'm a fan of fantasy and sci-fi books mainly. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series is genius if you ask me. Was just wondering if there were any other reading addicts out there.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:56 PM
resun
Fire Beetle

I am... If I'm not on the computer, I'm reading... I pretty much stick with the fantasy genre... I would have to say that the Dragonlance series is one of my favorites... Also enjoyed the Wheel of Time series, hopefully they decide to finish it even after his death...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Ayala
Fire Beetle

I hadn't even heard. *sighs* I hadn't been to Dragonmount in quite awhile. It's sad to hear that he lost his battle, though at least he isn't suffering anymore.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:41 PM
sesmar
I built it I will Support it!

I am a big reader as well. Mostly Fantasy, Tolkien and Dragonlance; however, I still read the Redwall series By Brian Jacques because I started reading them when I was young. I have started reading the Wheel of Time series as well. A friend of mine turned me on to them, although I am only on book 3 right now. I was talking to this friend the other day when I heard that Robert Jordan had passed away and he said he had done some research about the 12th book and it seems that Robert Jordan has left all of his notes and information in capable hands and it will get finished (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Jordan for reference) Some other series I have read would be the Dark Sword Trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, as well as The Inheritance trilogy (still waiting on book three to come out.) By Christopher Paolini
Old 10-15-2007, 11:56 PM
eq4me
Hill Giant

Just some of my favorite authors: George .R.R. Martin, Keith Laumer, Larry Niven, Tom Godwin, Louis McMaster Bujold, J. Gregory Keyes, Terry Pratchett, Eric Flint, David Weber, Anne McCaffrey, Christopher Anvil and Michael McCollum.

Some exeptionally good stuff from these authors:
Antares Trilogy from Michael McCollum
All Miles Vorkosigan books from Louis McMaster Bujold
The early Dragonriders of Pern Books from Anne McCaffrey
The Stars at War Megabooks from David Weber
Mostly anyting else from David Weber if you can stand the occasional 50 pages sociopolitical excurses.
The Mote in God's Eye and The Gripping Hand from Lary Niven
Night Watch and Thud! from Terry Pratchett

Oh, and i am back!

Last edited by eq4me; 10-16-2007 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Ayala
Fire Beetle

1500 pages sounds about right. I remember when he was on book 8 or 9 hearing that it would go to 13 books, well a 1500 page 12th book is about the same all in all.. hehe. I'm glad that they're continuing it though, that series was awesome, though I'm sure it won't be exactly the same at least there will be an end to it.

Let's see other good authors/series...

Robin Hobb's books. Tawny Man series, Farseeker series and the Liveship series.
Anne McCaffey's Dragonriders of Pern series

And completely unrelated to the others:
Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series

Can't think of any more off the top of my head, but those with the Wheel of Time series are a good couple months worth of good reading.