Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::Windows Servers

Archive::Windows Servers Archive area for Windows Servers's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:03 AM
Jorickinc
Fire Beetle

Default Do I have to use Perl?

I run my world.exe and i runs fine. But when i run boot5zones, it runs fine tiill i get an error loading embedded perl.

I created a basic db, with nothing in it apparently. Just need to know how to bypass this problem.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:19 AM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

If you want to have any type of quest you will need Perl. This also includes if you simply want your mobs to say something if you hail them.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:33 AM
Jorickinc
Fire Beetle

Default Well i just want to create my world first

If i can create my world without perl right now, and than just ad it later. Dont know exactly how to install perl.
It gave me a bunch of code that went fine, but when it came to installing IO:Scalar, thats where the probs occured.

I guess what i need is a full instruction how to install perl with io:scalar.
If someone could do that, it would be muchly appreciated
Old 08-31-2004, 06:51 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Default Re: Well i just want to create my world first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorickinc
If i can create my world without perl right now, and than just ad it later. Dont know exactly how to install perl.
It gave me a bunch of code that went fine, but when it came to installing IO:Scalar, thats where the probs occured.

I guess what i need is a full instruction how to install perl with io:scalar.
If someone could do that, it would be muchly appreciated
There ARE full instructions on how to install IO::Scalar.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:59 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

dfjigjfi
Old 08-31-2004, 09:22 AM
samandhi
Demi-God

Quote:
Installing Perl

Download Perl 5.8 (or newest version), Then install using the default settings for everything. Now reboot so path changes take affect. Congratulations, Perl is installed.

Installing IO::Scalar
If you don't already have it, download nmake.exe (save with .exe extension). You can find it here. Copy it into your perl\bin directory. Then type the following in a DOS window:
Code:
perl -MCPAN -e shell

When asked if you want to configure it manually, say "no". Once everything is done there type in:
Code:
install IO::Scalar

Once complete it should say -- install OK.

Problems
If perl isn't installed properly the zone windows will disapear after starting up. If you followed all the above steps correctly, make sure you have a copy of "Perl58.dll" in your "C:\Perl\bin" directory. If there is a copy there, search your computer for all other copies of it and delete them. Also note it is Perl58, not 56.

To test if IO::Scalars is installed type the following in a DOS window:
Code:
perl -MIO::Scalar -e "print 'Installed'"

If you get an error it isn't working. Make sure you installed it correctly, if you didn't delete the following files in "C:\Perl\site\lib\IO" and then rerun "install IO::Scalar":
Scalar.pm
Scalar.pm.html
ScalarArray.pm
This is to install perl ... To compile perl binaries of the emu, do the following:

Quote:
Right now by default perl is not enabled when you compile. You will need to define EMBPERL for perl quests, and/or EMBPERL_PLUGIN for perl plugins (remember plugins require IO::Scalers)

To create another build configuration with perl support in VC++6
open the server (or zone) project
menu-- build,configurations
select zone-win32-Release and press add
set the configuration name to Relase with Perl
set copy configuration from zone-win32-Release
menu-- build,set active configuration
select zone-win32-Relase with Perl
menu-- Project, settings
Select c/c++ tab
with the category pulldown reading General add ,EMBPERL,EMBPERL_PLUGIN to the end of the Preprocessor defines
Change category to Preprocessor and put c:\perl\lib\core in the Additional include Directories
select the link tab
change the category to input and put c:\perl\lib\core in the Additional library path
Close window
menu-- project, add to project, files
select zone\embparser.cpp make sure it has insert into: zone selected
do the same for embperl.cpp embparser.h and embperl.h

Now you can build a zone.exe with or without perl support. It will put the zone.exe with perl in a sub directory of the zone source. This is how I set it up so that it worked. If there is a "proper" way please let me know.

If compiled with perl quest, all quests must be in perl format. the *.qst files will not be read!
.... Hope that helps...

Quote:
Analysis paralysis will keep you from failing, but it will also keep you from succeeding.
  • L.L. CoolJ