Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:45 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Default Starting a Server

I need a recent guide to starting a server. I followed the guide written last april and it did not work. Is there an up-to-date guide for this?

Please help.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:19 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

I believe this is one of the most recent.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:25 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Thanks, I think I used that guide before and the database had changed since. That's where my problem was. I will try it all again and see what happens.

Also, is using some VM-Ware better than trying to do this in windows?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 AM
DrakePhoenix
Fire Beetle

I haven't had too much trouble with the guide here (the same one Kingly_Krab linked to) and here (same guide, two locations, different formatting, some minor updates to the second one). But the database setup information is incorrect for both of them because PEQ changed the way they handle database releases.

Basically, you can follow the guide for steps 1-3, and for steps 5+, but for step 4 you need to make some changes. Also, while you can download the quests files from the source given in the first guide (or at least you could back in late January), you can also get them from the PEQ database site (see below). I personally recommend using the PEQ site.

If all you want is the basic PEQ database (no bot support, and no private login server support), then you need to go to the new location for PEQ database dumps here and download the database archive package. Unpack the package and you should have 5 files: eqtime.cfg, drop_system.sql, peqbeta*.sql, source_views.sql, and user_tables*.sql. If you have a prior database in place and you want to clear it, use the drop_system file, but for a brand new database you don't need it. The eqtime.cfg file should be copied into your server folder ("C:\EQ\EQEmuServer" in the guide). Then source in the peqbeta*.sql file and the user_tables*.sql file. I found with the 01/24/2014 release that both of them had a CREATE query for the spells_global table, and you only need one. This may have been fixed, but if not, it could throw an error or a warning depending on the way you source in the files. The source_views file will allow you to create view methods in your database. I don't think the views are required, at least I haven't run into any problems with not using them.

That should be all you need to set up a basic database for a public server, so you can move on to step 5 in the guide(s).

Now if you want to enable bots, and/or if you want to run your own private login server, then you'll need additional database tables that are not maintained by PEQ. To get these, for the time being at least, you need to retrieve the old database SVN just as the guide tells you to. But in this case, once you've retrieved the SVN you only need to source in the load_bots.sql and/or load_login.sql files. These will source in the additional sql files necessary to set up the database tables for those subsystems. You should not need to do any database updates.

Now if you want to run your own login server, you'll also need to setup table entries for the tbl* tables in the database, but I'm not going to go over that here, especially since I'm not sure my method is correct or best or optimal (although it does work).

Having never used VM-Ware, I can't speak to that question, but I hope the information above will help you get things working for a windows server setup.

Good Luck,
Drake Phoenix
Old 02-17-2014, 02:10 AM
AdrianD
Discordant

I appreciate that. I will definitely give that a shot.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 AM
AdrianD
Discordant

I'm stuck at the security settings for MySQL. Since I reinstalled MySQL it remembered my old PW which I can't find. I would post a pic but I'm not sure how.

After step 5 of the SQL install, it asks to reconfigure or remove the instance before step 6. I imagine this is because it was previously installed. I will choose to remove this and see what happens when I install it again.

UPDATE: After uninstall... Same step, slightly different, just like the steps in the guide but... it's asking me for a current password. What would that be?

UPDATE:

'Step 3: Getting and compiling the C++ source code

#6 - unzip the dependencies'

? what dependencies? where are they? the guide needs to be specific, especially for dummies...

Step 3:

'Click on Configure.

In the next dialogue that says 'Specify the generator for this project', select 'Visual Studio 11'. Click on Finish.

Some messages should appear in the lower window with hopefully no errors.'

? - Guess what, there were errors; The guide doesn't say what to do if there are errors - "error in configuration process, project files may be invalid"

from cmakeerror - The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

I also noticed in CMake the ' CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX c:/program files (x86)/EQEmu ' doesn't exist when I look for it in windows explorer.

I'm definitely stopping here until I get some help.

Please assist with these steps if you have any knowledge.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 AM
AdrianD
Discordant

Bumped for editing.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Just stop.

If you can't compile this, which is easier than logging into the game, you shouldn't run a server.

Use google, common sense, and intelligence.

I know exactly what you're doing wrong, it's around here on the forums.

Search is your friend.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 AM
AdrianD
Discordant

That helped how?

It didn't.

If you have some knowledge that I don't, you should share it or stfu.

I've done quite a bit of searching here and elsewhere so I... ask the community!

What a novel idea!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:33 AM
jsr
Hill Giant

If you're having issues getting the mysql root password, you can follow this guide to reset it.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0...rmissions.html

If you've downloaded everything and can't find dependencies you probably just need to have a good look through everything you've downloaded.

And don't worry about Maze, working on a helpdesk makes some people grumpy and unhelpful . If you're clear enough about where you're having trouble you should be able to get help here. It helps if you reference the guide you're using, and the discrete steps you've taken prior to getting stuck.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

I'm still stuck on the installation of MYSQL 5.1.

I get to the very last step and hit execute and nothing happens.

' MSQL Server Instance Configuration Wizard (Not Responding) '

I followed everything up to that point and found my old PW.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
I'm still stuck on the installation of MYSQL 5.1.

I get to the very last step and hit execute and nothing happens.

' MSQL Server Instance Configuration Wizard (Not Responding) '

I followed everything up to that point and found my old PW.
Have you tried uninstalling MySQL, deleting C:\ProgramData\MySQL, and then deleting the C:\program files\mysql folder, rebooting, reinstalling.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 PM
DrakePhoenix
Fire Beetle

Maze's suggestion about uninstalling, deleting all data, and reinstalling isn't a bad one. This would also clear out your old password data for the root password too, since that's stored in the database itself that is maintained in the Program Data folder. However, please also note that the location for the database data files may be somewhere other than the location he gave. If you can't find it at C:\Program Data\MySQL, then check your my.ini file (before you uninstall) and look for the datadir value. I beleive the default on Windows 7 is C:\Users\<usename>\AppData\Roaming\MySQL.

Another option, instead of installing regular MySQL as instructed by the guide, you could download and install XAMPP instead (or a similar all-in-one web server package utility, there are a few). If you want that to work correctly, it would be best to completely uninstall MySQL and remove the MySQL data files as Maze suggested, so it isn't a bad idea to stick with regular MySQL for now.

As for the configuration wizard not responding, keep in mind that windows has a screwy idea of what "not responding" actually means. I cannot tell you how many times I've had windows flag a program as "Not Responding", but the program is still using varrying levels of CPU resources, memory usage for the program keeps changing, and if left alone the program eventually finishes whatever it was doing and continues on happily as though nothing was ever wrong. The reason being... nothing was ever wrong. Windows just can be idiotic about it sometimes. Try deleting out your MySQL data files, at the Program Data or AppData directory, or wherever the my.ini file says it is (and if you still have trouble finding it, then do a search in windows explorer or whatever file explorer program you use for a folder named "MySQL" and it should be the one that is *not* the program installation directory), then fully uninstall MySQL (if the uninstaller says it has stopped responding, just wait for a few minutes or even up to 10, and failing that consider trying Revo Uninstaller to uninstall it), then try installing again.

As for the dependencies that you're looking for, keep in mind that the second version of the guide still has some considerable formatting issues (as warned at the top of the guide). Immediately under where it says "6. unzip the dependencies" it tells you to download the dependencies, but the section of text is unindented and the link is non-functional there. Try instead going back to the other version of the guide at eqemulator.net (the one Kingly_Krab linked to, the same one that is the first one I linked to) and go to step 3.1 "Install some other required files" and you should find the link you need for that download.

So get those dependencies, and unzip them as the guide says to, and assuming you've gotten MySQL installed then try CMake again and see if you still get errors. If you still have problems, then come back and we can work from there.

Good Luck,
Drake Phoenix
Old 02-25-2014, 03:19 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Thanks a bunch for that.

I put it down for a while out of frustration but, I've built up some tolerance since and I will give it another shot soon.

Regards
Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 AM
AdrianD
Discordant

Hello,

I restarted the process again from the beginning after reinstalling Windows 7 ultimate. All went well up to the Cmake portion (step 3 in both linked guides) where errors occurred again.

Error logs:

<< 1st

Compiling the C compiler identification source file "CMakeCCompilerId.c" failed.
Compiler:
Build flags:
Id flags:

The output was:
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.0.30319.18408
[Microsoft .NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.18408]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Build started 3/12/2014 5:10:45 AM.
Project "C:\EQ\Source\Build\CMakeFiles\2.8.12.2\CompilerId C\CompilerIdC.vcxproj" on node 1 (default targets).
C:\EQ\Source\Build\CMakeFiles\2.8.12.2\CompilerIdC \CompilerIdC.vcxproj(14,3): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.
Done Building Project "C:\EQ\Source\Build\CMakeFiles\2.8.12.2\CompilerId C\CompilerIdC.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\EQ\Source\Build\CMakeFiles\2.8.12.2\CompilerId C\CompilerIdC.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
C:\EQ\Source\Build\CMakeFiles\2.8.12.2\CompilerIdC \CompilerIdC.vcxproj(14,3): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

0 Warning(s)
1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.70

Checking whether the C compiler is IAR using "" did not match "IAR .+ Compiler":
Compiling the CXX compiler identification source file "CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp" failed.
Compiler:
Build flags:
Id flags:

The output was:
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.0.30319.18408
[Microsoft .NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.18408]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Build started 3/12/2014 5:10:46 AM.
Project "C:\EQ\Source\Build\CMakeFiles\2.8.12.2\CompilerId CXX\CompilerIdCXX.vcxproj" on node 1 (default targets).
C:\EQ\Source\Build\CMakeFiles\2.8.12.2\CompilerIdC XX\CompilerIdCXX.vcxproj(14,3): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.
Done Building Project "C:\EQ\Source\Build\CMakeFiles\2.8.12.2\CompilerId CXX\CompilerIdCXX.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\EQ\Source\Build\CMakeFiles\2.8.12.2\CompilerId CXX\CompilerIdCXX.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
C:\EQ\Source\Build\CMakeFiles\2.8.12.2\CompilerIdC XX\CompilerIdCXX.vcxproj(14,3): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

0 Warning(s)
1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.34

Checking whether the CXX compiler is IAR using "" did not match "IAR .+ Compiler":
Determining if files stdint.h exist failed with the following output:

Source:
/* */
#include <stdint.h>

int main(){return 0;}

<< 2nd

The system is: Windows - 6.1 - AMD64

Please tell me what I need to do.

Thanks in advance for any help.