Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Development

Archive::Development Archive area for Development's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 05-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Gyrepin
Fire Beetle

Default Take the EQ out of EQEmu?

I'd like to start by saying this is a great tool! Fantastic work! But I'm wondering how much it would take to make it more generic. Right now EQEmu is used spicifically with the EQ client (as far as I know). But if there were some way to generalize parts of the emulator so that it can be used for other games, then it could also be used as the basis for the development of a completely new client/server based game (based on Torque, perhapse, or on tools and libraries on sourceforge).

Perhapse now would be a good time to start an Emu based project for a generic game server?

-Gyre
Old 05-05-2004, 12:49 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

I am totally behind that idea. That would be really cool in my opinion. It would be awesome to not have to worry about patches to the client breaking things, etc.

It would be a lot of work, but it's a real good idea.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:39 AM
mikenune
Discordant

I agree that it's a really kewl idea but, from what I've seen of the source code, you basically have to start over from scratch.
Furthermore THE POSTER assumes no responsibility and makes no warranty, guarantee,
or representation for the content of any web or FTP sites linked to or from this
post.

THE POSTER reserves the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices under
which THE POSTER presents information. It is the responsibility of THE READER to
regularly review these terms, conditions, and notices. THE READER understands that
the reading of any content including or covered by this disclaimer constitutes THE
READER's acceptance of and agreement to such changes.

THE POSTER retains the right to in any way alter the content of this post at any
time with or without prior notice to THE READER.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:43 AM
smogo
Discordant

i had a dream ...

Well, branching off a distinct client for EQEMu servers might not be in the scope of this project, but i admitt this is very sexy idea.

i started reworking old Doom2 and Quake GPL'ed engines last week when my win box BURNT 1G mem, down to 244M :/

The pb is not so muh the rendering , if you accerpt not to be state of the art. Using Doom family engines, you have fairly working render, gui and net transport layers ready.

Actually what requires much (too much i'm afraid) work is revamping s3d zones and meshes, that are still incompletly uncovered, and mapping them to memory and entity engine. Re-doing them from scratch is off-topic, and impossible task whatsoever.

Sometimes dreams come true, so ...
Old 06-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Filt
Fire Beetle

Default Emulator

Well ive called Sony before and asked them what they woukld do and how much they would charge for somone to do that to their game they said $500k. I am ind evelopment of a game right now and we called them to even use their engine and they want 500k. Which is rediculus but hey if you guys have 500k to spend to use eq's engine and their tool without permission go ahead i think it would be a great idea
Old 06-02-2004, 12:52 AM
Pyrix
Sarnak

you are some dreamers , dont make everything more difficult as it is !
Old 06-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Xabob
Discordant

I would have to say this is a really good idea

got to get Diablo II workin for it lol :P
[12:38] <RangerDown> I watched Napoleon Dynamite the other day
[12:39] <Xabob> omg
[12:39] <Xabob> want me to shoot you now?
[12:39] <RangerDown> and the first words out of my mouth at the start were:
[12:39] <RangerDown> Hey I bet Rog looks like that