Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:33 AM
foxtrot3000
Fire Beetle

Unhappy cant find eqemu ver 5.7-dr6

hello. my eq game is curenlty setup to logon to a eqemu 5.7-dr6 server and i have been playing online and now i want to set up my own server so that i can play with my hole house off line and not just me on line and i went to the downloads of sourceforge and it has all the ver of the emulator except for any of the 5.7 ver of it. is there anyway that maby someone can email me it or even point me in the right direction for it.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:01 AM
magicfest2
Fire Beetle

I'm not sure if you noticed, but I posted almost the exact same thing about 4 days ago, shown about 3 posts below your topic :P Not that I care about you reposting it, since no one responded to mine yet. I really wish someone would come forward, but I doubt it'll happen. If you do find it, though, be sure to let me know too!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:08 AM
foxtrot3000
Fire Beetle

ok man i will make shure i let you know
Old 02-15-2005, 11:54 AM
mattmeck

the binaries were never given out for that version, you had to compile the code at that point in time, the source has since been updated to 6.0 ect so you cant get that ether. And the 2 servers that run 5.7 Dr6 are custom coded servers so you cant get there source or binaries ether.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Cailin
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck
...And the 2 servers that run 5.7 Dr6 are custom coded servers so you cant get there source or binaries ether.
Actually, a question (I know this is off-topic, but....):

The source is available under the GPL (says so on the SF.net project page). The GPL says that anyone making changes or additions to the code MUST release their source code changes, otherwise their license to use the software is terminated. Therefore, these two servers that you speak of are required to release the source code that they're using. That's just the rules.
Quote:
From the GPL, http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.

Thus, it is not the intent of this section to claim rights or contest your rights to work written entirely by you; rather, the intent is to exercise the right to control the distribution of derivative or collective works based on the Program.

In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under the scope of this License.
So aren't these servers breaking the GPL by doing this?
Old 02-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

No, I think there is a difference.
I'm no expert on this kind of thing, but I'm pretty sure that what thats saying is that if I was to take the EQEMu code and make changes to it and submit it to the devs, then they would have to release that because its under the GPL. If I take the EQEMu source and privately make my own additions, my code is no longer free open source. However if I were to DISTRIBUTE my binaries, because EQEMu is open source, I would then have to release the code. Does that make sense?
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:55 PM
mattmeck

Quote:
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

ok breaking that down, #1 "any work that you distribute or publish" there not publishing or
distributing.

#2, there not charging

so that bolded portion says if you distribute or publish anything that included part of the code you cant charge, so nobody is in violation of anything.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Cailin
Sarnak

Aha... much clearer now. Thanks guys.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:11 PM
bushman77
Hill Giant

Default binaries

way back in the day there used to be the downloads for the binaries, I remember this because i didn't know how to compile. They are not there now and if you could get a hold of them they are not perl enabled

Last edited by bushman77; 02-18-2005 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: typo dyslexia
Old 02-17-2005, 11:28 PM
magicfest2
Fire Beetle

Yeah, I would still love to get a copy of either source or binaries... perl or not, having a server I actually have a client for would be excellent. Who needs QUESTS? blah! :P I easily know enough to compile the sources if anyone has a copy still, so I am still looking. If anyone out there has an original tar/zip of the 5.7 DR6 source I would almost be willing to give money at this point :P Although I'm sure any devs would have something to say about that, heh... Anyways, regardless of presence/absence of binaries/quests I really really want to get a copy of this :P My AIM and email should be public so give me a ring.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:04 AM
sysadmin
Hill Giant

Best I can come up with is 5.6
Old 02-28-2005, 11:00 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Quote:
I would almost be willing to give money at this point :P Although I'm sure any devs would have something to say about that, heh...
The devs already did say something about that... indirectly thru the GNU Public License that is incorporated into the software:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 1 of the GPL
You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 3 of the GPL
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
customarily used for software interchange; or,

c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is
allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
received the program in object code or executable form with such
an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.