Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 03-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Mawlcisum
Fire Beetle

Default Sony's Wonderful Support!

Disclaimer: I would like to apologize in advance for my rant. I just finished a conversation with a CSR at Sony. If you do not wish to read a rant, do not continue any further. However, should you choose to continue, I am not responsible for any damages incurred before, during, or after the reading of this post.

Warning: This is a long post!

So, Sony says they've reactivated accounts for 30 days to celebrate their 5 year anniversary. Sounds like a time for me to see how the server is doing. Maybe catch up with long lost friends, experience a pick-up raid or two, and definately packet collect for the furthering of EQEmu.

I can no longer remember the password to my account. I have not used it in over a year, and it's long since faded from my memory. So I decided to do what I've done before, contact customer support to recover it.

As similar to most people, my e-mail address has changed since my original registration, my credit card has expired, and the information used to register my account almost 4 years ago is no longer current. So I am aware that Sony's use of ancient data is going to slow the recovery process. But I am in luck, I do still have all my owned expansions, with their CD keys, I know my accounts full history, and I still have the same birthdate! So there is a shred of hope.

So I e-mail Sony first. I get the automated after-hours response. I wait a week for an actual response. Nothing. I decided to talk to live support. The link keeps saying they are experiencing high traffic volume and to try back later. After 3 hours, I finally get through. In the meantime I had sent a password recovery e-mail to Sony which included my original account key (specifically asked for in the form.)

After an hour of hearing how they're busy, someone will be with me in a moment, yadda yadda, I get put on the line with CSR Ron C. He promptly greets me with the standard CSR hotkey response basically saying, "Now that you've waited, wait a little longer while I read what you're here to bitch about."

5 minutes later . . . He responds. He asks me for the following;

1. My Sony Station Account Name
2. My birthdate.
3. My zip code.
4. My full name.
5. My e-mail address.
6. The first 4 and last 4 digits of the credit card used during the original registration.

I give him, of course, everything I knew except the last one. Why? Because that card EXPIRED in 2003, right when I quit. What did I do with it? What most people do with old credit cards, shred them to pieces, burn them, eat them, then flush them. I did everyone of those except the first one.

He then tells me how he cannot reactivate the account, or issue a password without the original billing information. I know this is to prevent people from buying/selling/stealing accounts. However, due to natural circumstances, I no longer possess this information. He refuses to reactivate my account or issue the password, and asks me if there is anything else he can help me with. I ask him how I was able to restore my password before using only my personal information (excluding my credit card information) and all of my CD keys, and why is it no longer possible. He informed me that it was never possible and that is not a method of retrieval. The only possible way to gain access is to have the first four and last four digits of the credit card use in the original registration of the account.

He again asks if there is anything else he can help me with. I ask him where I direct my complaints. After a 3 minute wait, he spits out an e-mail address that I could type in under 5 seconds. Before he can respond, I quickly end the session and come here to rant and try to get an honest opinion. Am I right to be furious about Sony's foolish policy?

This is the main reason why I am. I understand that if an account is sold/bought, the seller will share any information with the buyer about the account EXCEPT the credit card number. It would logically be foolish to do that.

That being said, if I had the original e-mail address used in my initial registration, they would send a new password to that address and voila. I do see that the e-mail would be sent to the original address but does Sony ever think about what they're doing? E-mail address change often, like for example when someone changes ISPs (which I did 3 times). Also, if the person does have that e-mail address, and they did sell their account, they could a) steal it back or b) forward the password to the new owner. If they steal it back, one potential EQ customer will be angry, and that account will gain a bad name if the person knows how to locate a server's message board. If they forward the address, the person logs on and plays.

How does this hurt Sony? One person quits, and another begins. They still have to pay monthly fees to play. More people would be willing to get into EverQuest, especially after 5 years now, if they can pick-up in a spot that won't render them useless unless they put in 100+ days play time on a new character. It seems to me that Sony would just be upset that they aren't getting a cut on the profit made from the account sale. Still, they are losing money by making account retrevial so difficult. But that's my own personal opinion.

Maybe they should do what they've always done when someone is making money off of their game, turn around and sell their legal version of it. You know, like the EQ Atlas they made, they could capitalize with Sony's Player Auctions!

End rant. I'm glad I quit, and I'd take EQEmu over EQLive anyday.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:30 PM
RexChaos
Dragon

Their customer service is god awful. Reason number one why I quit playing as well.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:19 PM
nilar
Hill Giant

Yeah that is pretty crappy. Who in the hell is gonna keep an old credit card. Some peoples original credit cards could be dated back to what? 1996? I havnt really had to mess with the CSRs but I did find their tech support very helpful. I had a bug where all my charcters where showing up nude ( yes I called it my XXX rated version of EQ ). I emailed Tech Support and in about 3 or 4 days they had a response that fixed the problem. So I guess there are some good and bad points of Sony. Hell they DID create everquest

Nilar Nightwolf- SaltyBoogers Non Legit ServerOp
Ascendra Custom Legit ServerOp
GM-Mgmt Jezebells Everquest Server
Senyen of the Abyss [65 Forest Stalker] Dil's World
Old 03-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Mongrel
Hill Giant

Can you contact your CC provider and ask for the number of the expired card? I'd expect that to be almost as difficult as getting a good response from SOE, but since it's expired it might be worth a try.

EQEMu files

Winter's Roar spell database
Old 03-30-2004, 01:14 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

Here's what you do to solve this. Skip hunting around for your credit card and tell them to take their customer service and cram it. They are absolutely worthless. To make a long story short -

I quit playing EQ for like 6 months

A "friend" of mine had a password to my account for rezzes etc.

I tell him I'm going to start playing and he gives me crap about how he gave my account away.

Since SOE has all my previous information and it's illegal to transfer accounts you'd think they could help out with this. Nope. Thier answer -

"If you gave out your password, we can't help you get your account back"

And these are the same people who have cancelled accounts because they found out that people had sold them? Excuse me?

To which they replied -

"If he has been paying for that account for the last six months (it was 4) then he is entitled to that account"

Yeah I appear to have missed that in the EULA. Hence why I say fuck that EULA because they've already broken it, therefore I don't need to abide by it. EQEMu is fun but a little part of me plays it out of spite...
Old 03-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Sk8ordiek2k1
Sarnak

Quote:
I ask him how I was able to restore my password before using only my personal information (excluding my credit card information) and all of my CD keys, and why is it no longer possible. He informed me that it was never possible and that is not a method of retrieval. The only possible way to gain access is to have the first four and last four digits of the credit card use in the original registration of the account.
Hmm. I could be wrong but this guys is full of it. Unless i hit my head or something, i could swear that, more than once, I've retrieved my password with just my birthdate and the original e-mail adress that the account was registered to.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Jerrysn
Sarnak

On that credit card number; as long as you have used the same bank the first 4 numbers will be the same, As far as I know, each issuing bank has their own unique 4 digits.

I've noticed that the last 4 numbers on my CCs have remained, in fact that only the 3rd set of 4 numbers change.

Your card might be the same way....can't hurt to try

-Appel
Old 03-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Mawlcisum
Fire Beetle

Well, the thing is, it was a friend's credit card. A friend I no longer talk to. A friend that would be hard to coerce into giving up his credit card number so I can play EQLive for 15 days.

I've pretty well just said **** it.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:51 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

I lost my main account, when i tryed to get it back they wanted origanal credit card info.

origanal account was beta, orignal credit card was girlfriends mom..(payed for xmas)..

they just laughed in my face...

CSRButtfuck: Sorry there is nothing we can do
devn00b: but i know the exact date/time of my main.
CSRButtfuck: Sorry..
devn00b: FUCK YOU EQEMU FOR LIFE!
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 03-30-2004, 09:53 AM
nilar
Hill Giant

Quote:
devn00b: FUCK YOU EQEMU FOR LIFE!
Lmao, and what was his response?

Nilar Nightwolf- SaltyBoogers Non Legit ServerOp
Ascendra Custom Legit ServerOp
GM-Mgmt Jezebells Everquest Server
Senyen of the Abyss [65 Forest Stalker] Dil's World
Old 03-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Scoops
Fire Beetle

I have to say for people paying 13$ a month well the CS really is kinda gay...but in game to get shit back when they say they cant do it...i say this (some times it works and other times it doesnt)
"I PAY 13.00 A MONTH FOR THIS!?" i have gotten back....90k plat like that, a CSR Rez, and a Event item. Of couse the server caused all of these things to either poof or me die and each time they wernt going to do it. Then when you get ahold of a GM and say that the CS sucks and that you pay real money blah blah blah..about 15 mins of bitching will eventually get you your stuff back...i dont know if it is because they want you to shut up or what i just know it work about....3 times out of 6 (thats how many time i have had shit happen courtisy of FuckQuest (Live) )
Old 03-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

hmm only time i ever had trouble with CS is when I won a copy of LDoN at the gamespy contest and i never got it, they never replied. I am also doing password recovery, and if you use the pass recover button on their site all you need is the original info(bday,email the account was regesterd with). heh seems im screwed though sony says they restarted my account and told me to do another password recover but it still dont work...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Mawlcisum
Fire Beetle

I don't have the original e-mail address. I had dial-up when I started EQ, then I went to cable, DSL, and another DSL. Also, the problem with using that e-mail address if you remember, but still have a new address is that the password is sent to the address you enter.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:48 PM
NarutoLegacy
Discordant

SOE is made up of nothing but assholes and stuck up power hungry employees. Damn GM's dont do anything! I was a guide and I wasnt even givin the cshome file, guide to being a guide thigy, and the guide item names. After 6 months of guiding I quit eq.
Change Maxlevel

Kaio Kuzumaki of the East, Owner of Tides of War [Custom-Legit] PvP Server
Orome, Lord of the Woods, Middle-Earth Roleplay PvP Server
Kaio Kuzumaki of the East, Owner of Kaio's All-GM Test Server