Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:01 PM
LestatONeal
Fire Beetle

Unhappy connecting

i had EQemu running on this pc then had to reinstall windows and i follow the set up again step by step but now when i try to start Eq i get could now establish a connection please check your network connections or contact eqtech@soe.sony.com not sure what i did wrong but if anyone can help please do i miss Eq !!!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Uleat
Developer

Try posting a little more information. Your description is like saying 'I can't get to work this morning' without knowing if you walk, drive a car or ride a bus. Each one has its own unique set of fixes.

U

Compilin' Dirty
Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 PM
LestatONeal
Fire Beetle

im running titanium i changed the short cut and the eqhost.txt just like EQEmulator : PlayGuide said to and im getting the msg when i click on the short cut. what other info u need ??
Old 05-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Uleat
Developer

Ok..let's start with your intended server setup.

Do you:

- Want to host a public server (using the eqemulator.net login server?)
- Want to host a private server with server and client on the same computer?
- Want to host a private server with server and clients on different computers (LAN-setup?)
- Want to host a private server with both LAN and WAN clients?

A connection error usually means that you aren't using the correct address in your eqhost file or that your server isn't configured properly. Most guides seem to be written for hosting a public server and you may need to make changes according to your hosting intentions.

U

Compilin' Dirty
Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 PM
LestatONeal
Fire Beetle

i was playing on someone else sever and my eqhost file set up like this [LoginServer]

Host=eqemulator.net:5998
not sure if any of that helps
Old 05-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Uleat
Developer

This sounds like a client issue..I don't have experience connecting to eqemulator.net, but try this:

Check you computer's firewall settings. If it allows you to, place everquest.exe in the exclusion list. If not, open ports 5998 and 9000 to TCP and UDP traffic.

Sometimes a firewall will try to 'anticipate' a program's requirements upon install and open up the ports that it's default install calls for. If you change those ports manually, they will be blocked unless you let the firewall know the program is using those new settings.

If anyone knows of a better solution, the floor is yours!

U

Compilin' Dirty
Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 AM
trevius
Developer

Check the FAQ in my sig. If you are playing from a network that you don't own (such as a dorm or work), it is likely you are going through a proxy that could be blocking port 5998 which is required to connect to the Login Server. It could also be a firewall blocking it on your PC as suggested. You might also try opening that eqhost.txt file up again to make sure the changes you made actually saved. If running Windows 7 or Vista, you can't change files like that by default when installed in the program files folder, but there are work-arounds listed in the FAQ.